• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Vintage Gibson P90 pickup?

Erwinn

I have this vintage P-90 pickup. It seems like an old (modded) Gibson pickup, but I'm not for sure.

Could you guys help me identify this pickup?

2luovnb.jpg

ztwz12.jpg

vdj04j.jpg

24bt4qo.jpg

orangedrop

I'm no expert. But I do own 3 of these beauties. It looks like a P90 from the 50-ies.
Someone did put in 2 ceramic magnets? And spacebars of maple?
If you remove these and install 2 alnico V – you’ll probably end up with a great P90 :)

TM1

Looking at these photos, I'm betting that 40 years ago someone installed an Alembic Hot Rod Kit in there. All those were was a pair of ceramic magnets and they did have some copper tape. Back in the day, if you installed a ceramic magnet into a stock T-Top humbucking, it would crank out some volume. the T-Top's came with either A-2's or A-5's that were hit or miss. They could be weak or real hot.
If that were my old P-90(most def a `60's version as there's a white & black coil leads. In the 50's they were both black. The white & black started in P-90's about the same time has humbucking's `62/`63-ish).
I would get a couple of alnico IV magnets from Jon @ ThroBak. The wood shims most likely were there as Gibson would shim them up on some guitars to get them closer to the strings.

jwalker

Les Paul Forum Sponsor
Not a Gibson bobbin. Flanges are too thick and baseplate mounting screw holes go through to top of bobbin which is not how Gibson bobbins were molded.

hogy

I've seen lap steel "P-90" pickups with bobbins like that.

jwalker

Les Paul Forum Sponsor
Gibson did not do white pigtail leads in the 50's. No dimples on baseplate either. Seems unlikely to be a 60's era Gibson pickup with that bobbin and baseplate.

TM1

You Jon you're right(as always)! Looking at it closer, it has the thicker bobbin material. It looks to me, especially with that piece of tape/sticker on the bottom, that it's probably an early Seymour Duncan P-90. Seymour use to use little stickers on the bottoms so they'd know what version of what pickup it was. Seymour's P-90's(before his Antiquity's) where hotter than a stock Gibson. I think I had one once that was somewhere in the 11K d.c. range. Sounded awful too..
So most likely it's a Duncan "Hot" P-90 as some of Seymour's used ceramic magnets..