• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Switching from Humbuckers to P90s

Gonzo79

I'm on the verge of buying an ebony Les Paul Standard. All the ones I can locate have humbucker pickups but I really want a Les Paul Standard with P90s.

My question is: How difficult is it to modify a LP Standard to fit P90s? Obviously the cost is another consideration too.

Ideally I'd like to buy an ebony LP fitted with P90s but have had no luck in finding one in the UK.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

rbig80

You could look for an ebony Deluxe and switch the minis for p-90s. They made those for a few years, maybe late 90s to 2001?? That would be an easier solution

Gonzo79

I had thought about that but every ebony LP I encounter just has standard humbuckers.

I don't wanna hang around too long....I'd prefer to get a suitable LP and modify it.

Big Al

Since 1957 Standards have come with humbuckers. 70's Pro Deluxe came in ebony and featured p90's.

Gibson and a few aftermarket suppliers make p90 pickups that fit humbucker routes. They sound like p90's.

Is this a sonic thing, or fashion?

Xpensive Wino

Classic Customs could be had in ebony with P-90s.

Gibson_Les_Paul_Classic_Custom_Ebony.jpg

Then there's this:

rarhdfsbhhl1waqtxucj.jpg

https://reverb.com/item/5213910-gibson-les-paul-standard-40th-ann-edition-1952-re-issue-1991-black

Big Al

Thanks, that's very useful.

It's mainly a sonic thing but aesthetics are also a consideration.

I'd look for a good Ebony Standard and drop in the 'bucker size P90's then. I use the Gibson P94's and I like 'em. There are quite a few options now for these pickups and it would present the easiest way to get where you want to be.

Gonzo79

That seems like the easiest option. I'm due some cash soon, so I'll get on the lookout.

I do find it a little odd that so few P90 Les Paul Standards are made - I've seen several high profile players with them and they always sound terrific.