• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Help on deciding to purchase two 2003 Les Paul's BRW

mipstoo

Hello

I'm interested in expanding my Les Paul collection, I'm more of a Fender guy, but always played my 2006 Ebony Les Paul Standard with lots of love.
Two 2003 Historic Reissues are for sale from the same seller, both are verified Brazilian Rosewood boards according to the seller.
Since I have no experience whatsoever with these Historic Reissues and even less with the verified Brazilian Rosewood boards, I'd like some advice.

First there is a R8, has seen its fair share of play, armwear, some checking on the headstock. Pickups have been replaced by Sheptone's. Serial 8 3050.
Is the only way to confirm that it's Brazilian Rosewood the serial? Do they normally have a certificate for the board a part from Certificate of Authenticity from Gibson Custom, Art & Historic? The board looks light coloured for a Brazilian. Do all guitars that fall in the 8 3001-8 3256 range have the Brazilian Rosewood? What would be a fair price for it?

Secondly, there is a R7, nearly unplayed. Almost no wear and all original. Serial 7 3414. Board is much darker.
Same question, do all guitars that fall in the 7 3001-7 3707 range have the Brazilian board? And what would be a fair price for it?

I will need to play the guitars first to make my decision. I've heard the 57's and 58's reissues have big necks, and I'm used to the 2006 Les Paul and Stratocaster necks.
Also, if the R7 is nearly mint, I wonder if it plays well. But if they are both good and I can offer a fair price, than I'm very interested.

guitty

It still amazes me that it's no problem to discuss this in public, although it is known that these 2003 BRW Gibsons never can be offered and sold legally (no CITES). Here in Europe you would risk to have this confiscated.

mipstoo

As far as I know, the regulation calls for documentation when shipping instruments internationally that contain any amount of any kind of rosewood or certain types of bubinga but does not apply to instruments shipped within the borders of the country or instruments carried for personal use while traveling internationally [unless they contain more than 22 lbs. (10 kg) of the regulated woods].

DANELECTRO

From a collector's standpoint, the R7 would be the best choice due to its condition. I would guess the value to be somewhere around $4K.

mipstoo

From a collector's standpoint, the R7 would be the best choice due to its condition. I would guess the value to be somewhere around $4K.

The R8 is listed for $5000 and the R7 for $5500. I want to make a deal for both but for a considerable lower price.
Do you think they have any collection value at all? As Guitty said, without proper certification it will very difficult to sell them in the future in other countries than mine. That's why I absolutely want them to be players. But if resale value stays stable or even increases, it would make my decision far easier.

guitty

About 4500€ and 5000€ are too much. Unless they are extremely well sounding and playing, there's no real demand for such guitars in Europe. Cites let buyers stay away from it. For that money you can get new great sounding and playing True Historics or any second hand Les Paul after 2013.
None of the above are good as an investment, however, imho.