• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Favorite solid state amp?

BurstWurst

I had a G-100 1-12 back when they first came out at the same time I also had a 100 watt super bass. I remember being amazed that that G-100 with it's single 12" could stand with the Marshall through it's 4x12" Hi-watt cab. I agree it had great clean tones, but found the dirty tones to be a bit on the fizzy side. It was the last SS amp I've owned. Keyboard player had a similar Yamaha amp and it worked great for him. Both Yamaha amps were heavy as hell.

jwalker

Les Paul Forum Sponsor
I did two gigs last Saturday with a Fender Mustang II V2, sounded great. I have some great tube amps, but honestly I'm shocked by how good the Mustang II sounds. I tried a used one thinking it would sound like crap but again I was shocked by the tones. Went back the next day to buy it and it was sold so I bought new. For the price and weight it is a no brainer if you want to try out a profiler amp.

Boss Katana Head

(I'm running it into a MojoTone 1X12 with a 90 watt Celestion Alnico Cream speaker)

BurstWurst

I did two gigs last Saturday with a Fender Mustang II V2, sounded great. I have some great tube amps, but honestly I'm shocked by how good the Mustang II sounds. I tried a used one thinking it would sound like crap but again I was shocked by the tones. Went back the next day to buy it and it was sold so I bought new. For the price and weight it is a no brainer if you want to try out a profiler amp.
I did sound recently for one of the better blues players in my neck of the woods and was surprised when he didn't show up with the BF Super reverb he'd been using for years. He brought one of these instead and I was also shocked by how good it he made it sound. I'd never heard a SS amp produce the "organic" tones he was getting from that little thing. Ironically, the player in the band before him also used one and it sounded like ass, as though it had a blown speaker. At first, I assumed he was borrowing the amp from the previous player, and warned him that it had problems and offered him my 5E3 deluxe which I had in the trailer. He said "no thanks" and that he'd been using the Mustang for a month or two.

corpse

Like modellers the tone needs to be adjusted appx volume to be used on stage. Otherwise sizzly nasty unpleasantness will ensue. I have been guilty to setting the amp a much lower volume and trying to use that at rehearsal levels.

Xpensive Wino

So I'm headed out for a rehearsal & I don't want to tote a tube amp, even though I have some cool tube amps. I grabbed my (now discontinued) Crate Power Block. It sounds great w/a JBL K120! Nice & punchy w/tons of headroom. I have to say that convenience has won out here & I'm pretty sure I'm going to use it at my next gig.
Anybody else here want to confess an appreciation for a particular SS amp?
Thx

jwalker

Les Paul Forum Sponsor
Played a large outdoor gig yesterday with the Mustang II v2 and a Robert Cray Strat. The sound guy used the XLR direct out. A family member in the audience took a video and it sounded great.