• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Vox Ac30H2 (Heritage) vs Vox Ac30HW2 (Handwired)

jimnic88

Hi!

I need Help :)
I can choose between a VOX Ac30H2 Heritage 2007 and a Vox Ac30HW2 Handwired. The price is the same (1000$). I find positive aspects in both:

The Heritage (that I can choose) have a 2 Alnico Blue made in UK (only these are 400$) and a NOS Tube EF86; but the Heritage don't have the Master Volume and it's NOT Point To Point (Handwired but on PCB).

The HW2 have indeed the Master Volume and it's all Point To Point, but have worts Speakers (2 China Greenback).

What do you say? The Master Volume is probably not a big Problem, because both have a switch from 30 Watt to 15 Watt.

PS. There is also the new C2 (or C2x) with Send Return (it would be important for me) and tremolo, but I've read everywhere, that the Hw2 and the Heritage are better.

Thanks!!!

alnico59

Can't really help you. But someone on here did a recording with a non HW Vox and it sounded really good. He was doing a demo of an R6.

Stephens

If you are interested in an EF86 circuit, I would go with the older handwired Vox. If you want some traditional EL-84 Vox tone with a half power switch and useable master volume I would go with the newer versions. I have a newer AC15HW1X and it delivers!

Either way, they are both great amps. You can't go wrong with either IMO.

TM1

Both can be modded with better parts, transformers, etc for better tone.