• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

2017 Gibson Custom Shop's Les Paul Std...separating fact from rumor!

Top Gun

Some early morning sun...

IMG_1602.jpg

Froggie

Great looking guitars. I would love to buy the dirty lemon R8. There seems to be only a very limited number on sale in general.

I'm in Ireland and the closest Gibson dealer with any is in the UK; Andertons have around three, GAK have a few. Will more become available? Thomann in Germany do not have any in stock.

My problem is that the R8's for sale in the UK have very plain tops, some of the 2017 R8s on sale in the US have much nicer tops (Wildwood Guitars, Mark's Guitar Loft). I know they are not meant to be as flamey, but they are beyond plain.

AFAIK, it would be very expensive to import a guitar from the US with VAT (sales tax 20%) and import duty (14%) to be applied.

John550

Just wanted to point out my R9 2017 , doesn't have the " more brown colored " , just the typical 2013 and up back color .

Last edited:

Sct13

Thanx for posting that info...I'll probably look at schloking some stuff around and get one....Finally after two years of waiting ...

AA00475Bassman

The 2017 guitars posted in this thread look Tip Top to my eyes , thanks for sharing !

I have bought historic guitars since 94 everything i own is historic , i choose a guitar for how the tone is and how it plays .

The Wilson era does not define or qualify a guitar for me at this point .

58 Lemons

Hi guys

I've recently purchased a Historic LP. May be a stupid question, but how can I tell if its a 2016 or 2017? Pretty sure its a 2016, but it wasn't ever stated, and I never even thought to consider it. I just loved he look and feel! Is there a way I can find out from serial numbers or something?

Cheers

AA00475Bassman

If you have a five digit serial number the second number is the year , the first number is the model .

58 Lemons

Hi guys

Love that 'pearly clone' - stunning!

Can I ask what does 'pearly' or 'pearler' mean? I've heard a few mentions often on here.

D

El Gringo

I believe if I am not mistaken that it refers to ZZ Top guitarist Billy Gibbons famous burst named Pearly Gates . It does have that look .

Dilver

I've shown my 2017 '59 Standard around to a couple guys well versed in Historics past and one of them says he's never felt a neck like it has. It's almost like it's trying to be a soft V shape due to the lack of "cheek" or shoulders but it still feels substantial in the hand and plays fantastic. To me the newer profile reminds me of a cello's neck or a few late 40s Epiphone/Gibson archtops I've played. Whatever it is I hope they keep it up at Gibson.:salude

For anyone who's keeping score... I can confirm that my 2017 '58 Standard does indeed have an *almost* v shape to it. I was actually surprised at how the neck isn't as big as I thought it would be. Really comfortable, but not as thick as previous years '58's that I've tried. Seems like all the Standards regardless of year are getting the same size/shape neck and that the only difference between the years aside from weight would be:

56 = goldtop w/P90's
57 = goldtop
58 = "plaintop" (in quotes because so many are coming in pretty flamey)
59 = flametop
60 = ???

Can anyone confirm this?

CAGinLA

For anyone who's keeping score... I can confirm that my 2017 '58 Standard does indeed have an *almost* v shape to it. I was actually surprised at how the neck isn't as big as I thought it would be. Really comfortable, but not as thick as previous years '58's that I've tried. Seems like all the Standards regardless of year are getting the same size/shape neck and that the only difference between the years aside from weight would be:

54 = goldtop w/P90s & wraptail

56 = goldtop w/P90's
57 = goldtop
58 = "plaintop" (in quotes because so many are coming in pretty flamey)
59 = flametop
60 = flametop, slim 60s profile neck (avg. 0.80 / 0.93)

Can anyone confirm this?

My additions in yellow.