• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

School me on Silverbursts

RPercival

Hey all! I'm finally in a position that I can justify buying an original Silverburst Custom. I'm hoping someone(s) can inform me on the differences across the years they were built, which I believe was 78-84. I'm mainly concerned with the guitar itself and less so with the electronics/hardware. I prefer thick necks but I know these weren't the chubbers that early ones are. I assume they'll all be heavy as hell, but I'm perfectly ok with that.

Also, if anyone knows of places to keep an eye on for Silverbursts, do tell. Thanks for your input!

deytookerjaabs

I love that look.

main-qimg-fdd96cd6ad32a9fc06a27af3f4364323

When life imitates nature.

gy04e62vax7b1etwqakq.jpg

One of the first Les Paul guitars I drooled over was the silverburst models, I think because there's a picture of one in "The Guitar Handbook."

IMO those guitars are very consistent, 10-12 lb, customs I've played from that era usually go from around 1 inch in at the 12th fret to skinny at the first fret (.085?), more modern jumbo-ish fret size, and when plugged in are pretty fat/thick. I think there was also a goldburst finish from that time that looks real cool too. Check the usual channels: reverb/ebay/tgp, they pop up pretty often from what I recall.

Big Al

Was all the rage on kitchen stoves and refridgerators. Specs are the same as any Custom from the same vintage.

Progrocker111

There were some significant specs changes during the 1978-1984 timeframe:

First bigger change was in mid 1980 - switch from T-Tops to Shaw pickups.
Then in 1982 switch from 3 piece necks to one piece and nearly in the same time from maple necks to mahogany...
And in 83/84 the 9 weight relief "Swiss cheese" holes appeared for the first time too.

Ed Driscoll

Les Paul Forum Member
I love that look.

One of the first Les Paul guitars I drooled over was the silverburst models, I think because there's a picture of one in "The Guitar Handbook."

That was the book that got me started, back in November of 1982. Shortly thereafter, when I started taking guitar lessons from an excellent player at (the late, lamented) Sunset Music in Willingboro, NJ, there was a kid also taking lessons who had a silverburst. Not for me (I wanted a traditional-style 'Burst, but since Gibson was still mostly in clownburst or tobaccoburst mode at the time, I went with the Black Beauty Custom), but I thought it was cool looking at the time. Not sure if I'd agree today, the way that silverbusts seems to turn green with age, but to each his own.

midgod07

I too would like to know the history of the Silverburst - moreso from the build/construction standpoint. I just got what is supposed to be an authentic '79. It's not as heavy as I expected - 9.4lbs on the bathroom scale (I know, I know); I guess after talking to folks I expected a big ol' piece of lumber but it weighs about the same as my '94 LP Studio. I assume it has T-tops in it since it's a '79. It's got the serial number and all so I'm not real worried that it's not authentic, but I'm curious about the body as it has these 2 straight lines in the finish, only on the front, on either side of the strings. You can't even feel them, just see them in the light. One runs from the cutaway back through the pots, one through the pickup selector, both from binding to binding. I thought these were one piece bodies? It's even an accurate chainsaw case for '79 with the plastic latches and not the later metal ones. Feel free to weigh in!
C05C4FC5-4936-4387-99BA-250D39C1047D.jpg8E94DD9E-D6FF-4A4F-8D14-B3953F4BF932.jpg19E71059-636D-4EF9-916E-D77A085B1267.jpg

Big Al

I too would like to know the history of the Silverburst - moreso from the build/construction standpoint. I just got what is supposed to be an authentic '79. It's not as heavy as I expected - 9.4lbs on the bathroom scale (I know, I know); I guess after talking to folks I expected a big ol' piece of lumber but it weighs about the same as my '94 LP Studio. I assume it has T-tops in it since it's a '79. It's got the serial number and all so I'm not real worried that it's not authentic, but I'm curious about the body as it has these 2 straight lines in the finish, only on the front, on either side of the strings. You can't even feel them, just see them in the light. One runs from the cutaway back through the pots, one through the pickup selector, both from binding to binding. I thought these were one piece bodies? It's even an accurate chainsaw case for '79 with the plastic latches and not the later metal ones. Feel free to weigh in!
View attachment 11693View attachment 11694View attachment 11695

It is just a finish. They are no different than any other Custom from the same year, except the chrome hardware.

El Gringo

Seeing these images reminds of the late 70's when I would take my LPC in for service at my local mom and pop shop ( which I miss ) and Vinnie the owner would let me take a Silverburst LPC as a loaner while mine was getting service . Certainly was a nice Les Paul !