• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Looking to replace pots in a Gibson les Paul, what brand would you choise and why?

59PLEXI

I'm now looking to rip out the crap push pull pots in my 2009 Gibson les Paul studio deluxe
(No circuit board here) I plan to replace all four with 500 k and rewire
it to 50's specs
It's been ten years since I last bought pots and don't know what is the best these days
As so much has changed...What do you all think?

kevinkjs

I replaced all 4 in my 99' Standard last year. I just went with CTS 500's all around. Unless you're looking
for push/pull coil splitting etc., etc., these will do you just fine. This is a topic where some people swear by
their favorite brand, and go on and on about differences in tone, etc.. I don't buy in to all that, after all;
they're not pick ups for God's sake, just a little function we need them for, kind of like an input jack. CTS
has been a standard in countless high end guitars for years. Good luck.

kevinkjs

I forgot to mention in my previous reply, that while I had it all apart, I re-wired "50's Vintage"
wiring. Less treble loss when you roll the volume down, and a little more livelier tone. You can
download the wiring diagram from the Seymour Duncan website free. Cheers.

Big Al

I replaced all 4 in my 99' Standard last year. I just went with CTS 500's all around. Unless you're looking
for push/pull coil splitting etc., etc., these will do you just fine. This is a topic where some people swear by
their favorite brand, and go on and on about differences in tone, etc.. I don't buy in to all that, after all;
they're not pick ups for God's sake, just a little function we need them for, kind of like an input jack. CTS
has been a standard in countless high end guitars for years. Good luck.

You may not buy into it but that doesn't mean there are not real sonic benefits to gain with the right pots.

Emiel

That site has no relationship to Crazyparts... it looks like one of Larry Corsa's online shops...

Larry is the American importer for Faber hardware, and I guess for CTS TVT pots too. He uses both in his Corsa guitars...