• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Ugh! People seriously "name" their guitar?

KR1

The calling a real Burst a "Turd" thing has been a running joke of mine for years. I mentioned it here and people acted like I posted a pic of two dogs having sex in front of a church.

I guess it's all the the delivery and WHO does it. :hank

and then, someone wrote a song...

Pat, 'love that Delta hook in the other thread ("Sad Case" - it's great..!)

Kim

JamesE

Giving things, and especially living beings names is something very powerful.
If you've got kids, you may have spent months thinking of names. And you'll spend the rest of your life wondering if it was the right name!
Giving something a name asserts ownership, or where you don't own it, it at least gives you power.

How many of you call your partner by the name their parents gave them?
Or by the name YOU gave them? :hmm

BTW, my guitar's only 1 week old, but she's got a name. Oh yes, she's got a name.

jalevinemd

I don't necessarily agree with the OP, as I've got 6 named. None of them Gibsons, ironically. Five of my Alembics and my Resurrection Lightning Bolt go by Stubby, Chunky, The Beater, The Nub, Little Bear and Big Bear respectively. IMO, though, the name should come naturally. It shouldn't be forced. For me it is a little bit "cringe worthy" when someone gets a new guitar and immediately starts to poll people as to what the guitar should be called. That's just me. YMMV. :peace2

Mars Hall

My father worked at a local music store. During this time I was learning to play as a teenager. A gentleman brought in an ES345 (featured in my avatar) into the store for sale or trade. At the time, it was in a chipboard case that someone stenciled "The Soul Machine" on. The name stuck. To this day, I still have people ask me "Do you still have the Soul Machine?"

kerryboy

it was in a chipboard case that someone stenciled "The Soul Machine" on. The name stuck. To this day, I still have people ask me "Do you still have the Soul Machine?"

You know, I kinda get that, but Stubby, Chunky, Little Bear and Big Bear.

Each to their own I suppose.

renderit

This post was removed by the author under section 17 part 7 paragraph C of the underlings rule of conduct which states unequivocably that "thou shalt not ever or always .. . ..... ........ ....... .... .c.c.c...

Last edited:

harrie0492

2pzwmm1.jpg
After the Goldrush and Freakout

jalevinemd

C'mon, seriously. Aren't you even the slightest bit embarrassed to admit that.

Yeah...out of context they sound a bit strange.

1. Big Bear - replica of Jerry Garcia's lightning bolt with a few changes, including a bear claw inlay on the preamp battery compartment.

2. Little Bear - an Alembic I had made to celebrate the birth of my first child. Her nickname was and is Bear. It's got a bear claw inlaid at the first fret.

3. Stubby - an Alembic I had made to celebrate the birth of my son. His nickname was Stubby as a baby.

4. Chunky - an Alembic I had to celebrate the birth of my youngest daughter. She was a fat little baby and we called her Chunky.

5. The Beater - the first Alembic I had made for me that I would dare take out of the house to gig with. The others had far too much sentimental value. So named because I didn't care if I beat the shit out of it.

6. The Nub - an Alembic I had made as a backup to The Beater. The bottom point is smaller and more rounded than The Beater's standard point...hence the name, The Nub.

Last edited:

kerryboy

With a handle like kerryboy you are getting judgemental?:ha

Sorry, and you think your handle is super cool do you.

But I am at a loss to understand what my handle has got to do with this discussion.

renderit

All apologies mr kerryboy. Joke gone bad let's call it.

Last edited: