• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Custom color over sunburst question

The Shifter

Has anyone here owned or seen a Strat that's been finished a custom color over sunburst? My question is this: Do you think Fender sand the sunburst finish before applying the custom color? More specifically, could you see evidence of the sunburst finish being sanded once the custom color had been worn away?
Danke

Wilko

All Access/Backstage Pass
Ive seen plenty of custom color over sunburst. No way to tell if it's been sanded first. By the time the custom color is worn off, the edge is constantly being "polished" by the arm or whatever is rubbing it.

I don't think there would be any benefit to sanding, as the lacquer "melts" into the finish it's applied to.

This one is shoreline gold over sunburst with a layer of white first:

549615_4206299832185_557245245_n.jpg

The Shifter

Whoa. Look at that old road dog.

Good point about the lacquer.

The reason I ask is I have two of those Squire J Mascis JM's and I was thinking about spraying one of them Dakota red over the original finish. I'm sure that finish is poly. I was wondering if I should sand it before I sprayed it.

Wilko

Yes, poly you need to sand and/or use a chemical paint prep.

WBailey

Whoa. Look at that old road dog.

Good point about the lacquer.

The reason I ask is I have two of those Squire J Mascis JM's and I was thinking about spraying one of them Dakota red over the original finish. I'm sure that finish is poly. I was wondering if I should sand it before I sprayed it.

What do you intend to use ?

Cleaning with mineral spirits is more important than sanding if you are going to use acrylic/enamel.

Light sanding (320) , then tack cloth for poly :salude

Pellman73

Has anyone here owned or seen a Strat that's been finished a custom color over sunburst? My question is this: Do you think Fender sand the sunburst finish before applying the custom color? More specifically, could you see evidence of the sunburst finish being sanded once the custom color had been worn away?
Danke

Shifter --

both my custom shop heavy relic strats are painted over sunbursts (one blue sparkle and the other Sherwood green).... dale wilson the guy who master built the Sherwood green one is in touch w my friend who owns the shop where I got it.... I could ask him to ask if you want how they do it...

Im not sure that is exactly what you mean but maybe w those they don't put a coat of any thing over the paint....

Wilko

I've painted lacquer over poly a few times with good results. I'm lazy and just lightly sanded then wiped clean with acetone or mineral spirits, alcohol, whatever was around.

Right now I'm doing a refin on a Japanese Squier and I'm removing the poly. Man that stuff is thick! Thicker than the 70s Fenders I've done. I'm using a heat gun and a knife to peel it off.