• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Gibson Les Paul HP bridge/saddles mod

Gearbug

Hello forum, I have a Les Paul situation and I need some advice to be given. I am trying to determine what bridge and saddles, and maybe also the tailpiece I need to fix to my 2016 Traditional HP to improve the tone to my liking. I ordered the guitar from overseas - a blow out sale event - and although I appreciate some very good qualities in it, the tone just does not seem right. Pickup changes did not ultimately help, and I am of the opinion that I need to like the unplugged tone first and foremost. Now these guitars come with titanium nuts and saddles as you sure know, which I think gives them a 'tinny' sound unplugged, and some serious sharpness to the top-end in the bridge position. I am not sure if I can call this guitar bright, it has its own thing going on. I intend to have a bone nut fixed to it, and for the bridge and/or saddles I need your knowledge. I am considering brass parts, maybe only the saddles or the whole bridge, same material tailpiece or aluminum to open up the sound and lighten the weight of the instrument... actually I got very little knowledge and experience on these things, this is my first Les Paul type guitar. I can't ask for a whole schooling from you but I appreciate some directions. If your opinion is against the whole project, also let me know.
Also.. I am getting most of my gear from Thomann.de, I may not be able to acquire some things available in the USA.
Best.

Zentar

Titanium weighs pretty much the same as aluminum; both are light.
Brass weighs the same as zinc(Zamak) both are heavy.
Don't forget nylon saddles.
I would try Faber for TOM and TP if that is your next step.
Have you let a luthier set up your guitar? Maybe he can get you sonically to another place?

Gearbug

Titanium weighs pretty much the same as aluminum; both are light.
Brass weighs the same as zinc(Zamak) both are heavy.
Don't forget nylon saddles.
I would try Faber for TOM and TP if that is your next step.
Have you let a luthier set up your guitar? Maybe he can get you sonically to another place?
Thanks a lot for the input, I am not sure I can acquire Faber, but I have my eye on this: https://www.thomann.de/intl/tr/abm_2504c_bridge.htm?ref=search_rslt_amb+nashville+bridge_266528_13
I need to make sure the specs are right for my guitar. I guess it would be too extreme an effort to change the bridge 'type' from Nashville to ABR or whatever could be better, but again I am open to suggestions.
If you think it is senseless to pay so much, maybe you can direct me to a specific bridge - preferably at Thomann.de - that is more budget friendly and will do well, or even just a set of saddles. I think I will try brass for bridge/saddles if you gentlemen/ladies don't have a better suggestion, and consider the tailpiece at a second step. I am too concerned with tone to be concerned about weight at this point, although the guitar is bloody heavy actually :).
The guitar is set up fine, I am pretty sure the titanium parts are the problem for me.

Zentar

Thanks a lot for the input, I am not sure I can acquire Faber, but I have my eye on this: https://www.thomann.de/intl/tr/abm_2504c_bridge.htm?ref=search_rslt_amb+nashville+bridge_266528_13
I need to make sure the specs are right for my guitar. I guess it would be too extreme an effort to change the bridge 'type' from Nashville to ABR or whatever could be better, but again I am open to suggestions.
If you think it is senseless to pay so much, maybe you can direct me to a specific bridge - preferably at Thomann.de - that is more budget friendly and will do well, or even just a set of saddles. I think I will try brass for bridge/saddles if you gentlemen/ladies don't have a better suggestion, and consider the tailpiece at a second step. I am too concerned with tone to be concerned about weight at this point, although the guitar is bloody heavy actually :).
The guitar is set up fine, I am pretty sure the titanium parts are the problem for me.

No you can surf around and get cheaper parts. Faber and Gitarrethom are both German and well made.

I was suggesting you work with a local luthier to help acquire your tone since this is your first electric.

Example: a luthier would know brass is brighter than Zamak(zinc). Nylon saddles would sound darker than anything. There are tonal differences between titanium and aluminum.

If you seek a warmer tone don't use metals that offer a brighter ambiance.
You should also try lowering the pickups and using the control knobs differently. Also try new amp settings.
I see no reason to change bridges from ABR1 to Nashville.

You have already changed pups to no avail which raised my eyebrows. Perhaps working with a teacher or luthier locally is really the better route. I think an electric guitar is an entirely different instrument than an acoustic. You quite possibly don't need to change anything. I think you already have what you need and should get acclimated by using the assistance of an advanced player or technichan.

Remember that Joe Bonamasa suggests new LP players not change anything. A lot of us in here change everything all the time probably just because we enjoy doing it.

Gearbug

No you can surf around and get cheaper parts. Faber and Gitarrethom are both German and well made.

I was suggesting you work with a local luthier to help acquire your tone since this is your first electric.

Example: a luthier would know brass is brighter than Zamak(zinc). Nylon saddles would sound darker than anything. There are tonal differences between titanium and aluminum.

If you seek a warmer tone don't use metals that offer a brighter ambiance.
You should also try lowering the pickups and using the control knobs differently. Also try new amp settings.
I see no reason to change bridges from ABR1 to Nashville.

You have already changed pups to no avail which raised my eyebrows. Perhaps working with a teacher or luthier locally is really the better route. I think an electric guitar is an entirely different instrument than an acoustic. You quite possibly don't need to change anything. I think you already have what you need and should get acclimated by using the assistance of an advanced player or technichan.

Remember that Joe Bonamasa suggests new LP players not change anything. A lot of us in here change everything all the time probably just because we enjoy doing it.
Thanks for taking the time for this, I am not exactly new to electric guitars though, only to Les Pauls. I don't know how brass compares to Zamak tonewise, but I am pretty convinced it will be warmer than titanium as far as saddles are concerned. The thing is, I could not locate any brass saddles by themselves, at least not at Thomann.de , and the Faber site does not offer shipment to my country. So I am looking into whole bridges now. My luthier does not recommend nylon saddles, curiously it appears we only got those at my location for replacement saddles and bridges , the Graphtech stuff. Bonamassa's advice is surely interesting.