• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Gibson Les Paul Standard Year 2002

keenanchia

I need some input from the folks as I do not have the luxury to try out various type of Les Paul.

I am looking for a LP that I would play regularly, not put it up in display closet. And I come across this 2002 LP on sale for USD1500 and 2009 1959 LP Reissue (50th Anni) for USD3200.

Does the price gap justify the build quality and tone difference?

Mats A

If money isn't the issue the one that you like best is the best. Just play them if you can then make your choice. The Standard should have a slimmer neck.

zoommutt

The standard came with 60's or 50's neck.2002 was 50th anniversary and they put out a nice standard that year.

Big Al

USA 50's necks are rounded and slim, not a 50's neck. 2009 50th Ann Historic R9's were superb Reissue 1959 Standards.

The USA Standard is not a 50's Reissue nor a 50's build.

Buy the guitar you can afford and want. They are very different Les Pauls. You ought to have an idea of what you want, what you can afford and what specs are important. Both are priced right and assuming no issues the 2009 R9 is at a great price.

K701

Listen to the Big Man, though with regards to the neck I would like to add, it depends where your meter of thick/thin necks is at. I have always found skinny necks unappealing. I got a 2003 standard with a 50s neck and it took me years to come to love it. I remember at the time struggling around the 12th with too much meat there.

If someone would have asked me at the time, I would have said the neck is huge. Now I view it as medium (and it has some shoulders). I have since bought a historic that DOES have a huge neck. I woke up one morning to find British Telecom trying to attach phone lines to it. It's a beautiful beast. I would have deemed it unplayable it my ignorant days. Now the Standard is feminine in comparison.

They did do well with the 2002 Standard. My only complaint would have been that they were a little too generous with the nitro at that time. But then when it's new and super glossy, such things are emphasised.

BaggyPants

Play them. See which you prefer. No good anybody giving advice on something they've never played or seen. The Reissue could be a complete dog, the Standard might be a holy grail. It's all too subjective.

Zentar

You can find a very fine playing/sounding LP everyday for $2k-$2.2k. If you pay over $3k you are buying attributes that generally are desirable by journeymen musicians who desire everything a guitar can offer and can justify the expense.
I saw where Brad Whitlock bought a new guitar by Musicman right off the rack and played it onstage that night. LPs are the same way. You can find some darn nice LP Standards under $2k if you look. All LPs Standards are professional quality instruments.

zombiwoof

Also keep in mind that the USA Standard will most likely weigh considerably more than the reissue Standard, Gibson uses more resonant, lighter woods on the RI/Historic LP's than the USA line, if that matters to you. I think in 2002 they still offered either a rounded 50's neck profile or a slimmer 60's profile, I may be wrong though because I don't remember when they stopped offering the option of neck profiles on the USA line. I prefer the more rounded 50's or '59 rounded neck profile myself.
Al

sonar

To answer the OP's original question(s) -

Yes, the build quality is worth the price gap. Not to say the 2002 is poorly built (most I've played from that era are very well built) but the Reissue has some build features that warrant the price difference.

The tone difference is too subjective to answer. You'd have to play and decide for yourself. There's too much tone variance from one Les Paul to the next.

Either guitar should be a worthy investment. I love the (2002-2008) USA Standard era and obviously it's at a much friendlier price point. A 1959 Reissue (R9) should also be a great choice. More expensive, yet $3200 is a very good price for a R9.

Big Al

To answer the OP's original question(s) -

Yes, the build quality is worth the price gap. Not to say the 2002 is poorly built (most I've played from that era are very well built) but the Reissue has some build features that warrant the price difference.

The tone difference is too subjective to answer. You'd have to play and decide for yourself. There's too much tone variance from one Les Paul to the next.

Either guitar should be a worthy investment. I love the (2002-2008) USA Standard era and obviously it's at a much friendlier price point. A 1959 Reissue (R9) should also be a great choice. More expensive, yet $3200 is a very good price for a R9.

EXACTAMUNDO!!!! Well said +1000%:hmm:salude

keenanchia

Thanks guys for all your feedback, it is a great input from you all.

In the end, I have gone for 2009 R9 50th Anni Model with an Orange Dual Terror 2-channel tube head and a Mesa cab for around USD3700. Really appreciate the seller for giving me such a good deal that I can't refused. But most important of all, it is the tone of the guitar that convinced me to go for it without thinking of waiting for other opportunities.

Mats A

Glad you found out wich you liked the best. The Standards may be a bit heavier but the Standards i've had have had a fatter less hollow tone than the Reissues i've had. They 're built a little bit different but who can say wich way is the best. I bet no one can hear if you play a Standard or a Reissue. Envoyé your guitar!

Lebond

Congrats on your new guitar, you definitely made the right choice :hank