• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Switch change effect on value

pavcny

Hi guys,

I just bought 1994 Fender Strat '57 Reissue that was listed as mint condition. Mostly to play at home, enjoy the guitar for what it is, and possibly sell it in the future. So there is some investment thinking involved, although I will be playing it at home. No plans to trash it :)

First thing I noticed is that the selector switch has been changed to a 5 way, the 3 way is included in the case candy. I know the reissues came with the 3 way switch installed and the 5 way in the case. I took off the neck and checked the pots, everything else looks fine.

I realize it's a small change, but still a modification to the electronics. I still have the original 3 way switch. Any ideas on how this might affect the investment value if I decide to sell at some point in the far future?

P.Walker

Hi guys,

I just bought 1994 Fender Strat '57 Reissue that was listed as mint condition. Mostly to play at home, enjoy the guitar for what it is, and possibly sell it in the future. So there is some investment thinking involved, although I will be playing it at home. No plans to trash it :)

First thing I noticed is that the selector switch has been changed to a 5 way, the 3 way is included in the case candy. I know the reissues came with the 3 way switch installed and the 5 way in the case. I took off the neck and checked the pots, everything else looks fine.

I realize it's a small change, but still a modification to the electronics. I still have the original 3 way switch. Any ideas on how this might affect the investment value if I decide to sell at some point in the far future?

Add a dollar.

El Gringo

Makes it better , I would leave the 5 way switch on the guitar .

RicOkc

Won't make a difference, it came with the guitar and most people switch to the 5-way.

posulliv

I have a couple custom shop Strats, one from 1988, and one from 1990. They came from the factory with 5-ways installed, and 3-ways in the case. Are you sure the one you have came with the 3-way installed? Is there physical evidence of a swap?

And I can't believe I replied to a thread from 2017. Aargh.