• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Help identifying/valuing 62' SG

adoringfan_107

Hi, ive come across a vintage 1962 SG near me that is in serious need of some work and was wondering if you could give me an idea of its value.
Apparently the neck pickup is an original PAF and the pots/switch/jack are all original.
Thanks in advance

$_20.JPG
$_20.JPG
$_20.JPG
$_20.JPG
$_20.JPG
$_20.JPG
$_20.JPG
$_20.JPG
$_20.JPG

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
Hi, ive come across a vintage 1962 SG near me that is in serious need of some work and was wondering if you could give me an idea of its value.
Apparently the neck pickup is an original PAF and the pots/switch/jack are all original.
Thanks in advance

The confirmation of this being a real PAF is significant.
Restoring it would be expensive [or a lot of work if you have the skills].
The basic value is pretty much the scrap value.
What would it "part out" for? :hmm

latestarter

I reckon I could make that look half decent.

The PAF and pots are key here, as Tom says.

adoringfan_107

Waiting on more pics, ill post them up of the pickup and pots as soon as i get them. Its convenient I know someone who could do the repair for it as well.

marshall1987

What's the story on all the black discoloration at the neck joint? Cherry Red fade to black?

I would want to see inside the neck pickup cavity to assess the degree of damage. Assuming the neck has had structural repairs performed at the very least. There are probably other cracks on the body as well as the neck.

Unless the guitar is available at a firesale price, and it has an original PAF (and perhaps a bridge Pat No.), I would keep my wallet in my pocket.

Do you intend to make an offer to the seller?

adoringfan_107

Still waiting for those photos to come through. He has it listed 3500 AUD but hoping to get it under 3000 (just over 2000 USD) if the pickup is a PAF and electronics are stock.

P.Walker

Still waiting for those photos to come through. He has it listed 3500 AUD but hoping to get it under 3000 (just over 2000 USD) if the pickup is a PAF and electronics are stock.

Well...only in that case and even then I'd not be so sure.

It's going to need a lot of neck work ($$$) and other expensive TLC, so I'd pass if I were in your shoes...

P.Walker

Here's another 62 Les Paul/SG on EBAY that's listed as player grade. The guy who butchered this poor guitar must have gotten an F grade in wood shop :hee

Almost makes this one look decent...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1962-Gibson-Les-Paul-SG-Electric-Guitar-w-Case-Player-Grade-Vintage-/322466392284?hash=item4b147ea8dc:g:QUgAAOSw2gxY2uJa

Yikes. With the rise of the market it's shocking to see what passes (well at least not yet!) for "player's grade" nowadays...
I see a lot of "solid" in the descriptions, and I don't know if that's just honesty or pure verbosity.

VamboRool

I'd value this one as what would I be willing to pay for a truss rod cover and back plate.