• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Gibson pickup ID help please?

raoul duke

Came across a set of pickups in a trade that I cannot identify and I'm hoping someone may be able to help.

Both have the "PAT NO 2,737,842" stamp on the base plate with 1/2" long standard threaded mount tabs, braided two conductor wire, matte bobbins with no imprints or inspection holes (but appear to have integrated plastic spacers on the underside) and what appear to be chrome covers slightly notched to clear the tabs.
One pickup reads 7.2 and has 50mm c to c pole spacing with a smooth-ended magnet, the other reads 13.9 with 52mm c to c pole spacing and a rougher-ended magnet. They are supposed to be a set that came out of a 1986 Les Paul Custom.

I'll upload some pics soon. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Kris Ford

That's a Schaller Bobbin version of the T Top, and an early 498T in my opinion.

Had the DCR been 7.5ish +/-, with regular bobbin, reddish copper wire and smooth mag, it would be a PU490.