• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

1957 Les Paul Special

latestarter

This thing followed me home from LA this week. All original, including worn frets. Sounds crazy good, but needs a refret to unlock the true potential. Original case a little shabby (not shown here).

Note the lack of finish in the cavity on the treble side...just pure wood. And the wood is light in colour.

slVGfjm.jpg

YYUgMdN.jpg

cIa4RxZ.jpg

P.Walker

I wish random les pauls would just follow me home...congrats and great score!

Also, props to giving it a refret...the single best thing you can do to a guitar.

thunderkyss

I don't know why, but I never like the look of Specials unless they're the older ones. I need to find out what the difference is, what I don't like about the newer more affordable ones.

That's a sweet guitar.

sws1

Great score.

Don't TV finishes get darker as they age? The shelf in the cavity is darker than the area right outside. Weird.

Maxmc

A question: I am assuming you call New Zealand home. Did you have any trouble getting this guitar from LA to home given the CITES situation ?

latestarter

A question: I am assuming you call New Zealand home. Did you have any trouble getting this guitar from LA to home given the CITES situation ?

None whatsoever. It is a personal belonging...I carried it with me.

latestarter

Great score.

Don't TV finishes get darker as they age? The shelf in the cavity is darker than the area right outside. Weird.

I guess one possible reason is the cavity ledge has a build up of clear as it is not buffed out, and therefore made thinner, like the rest of the guitar. Over time that thicker clear goes yellow.

As per Tom's recent thread about TV finishes, there's more than one type from around this time. This specific guitar doesn't seem to have any white underneath. It's like they went sealer, yellow lacquer, grain filler, clear.

I'll grab some proper shots over the weekend.

Unbound Dot Neck

The back of the neck on mine has a really nice mahogany red grain peekin thru the TV finish,
Less filler coats ? than the body .

MWR

Awesome! Congrats! :salude:salude:salude:salude

F-Hole

Lovely guitar Grant.....how's the weight?

I've never played a Special, what am I missing?

latestarter

Lovely guitar Grant.....how's the weight?

I've never played a Special, what am I missing?

Cheers John.

My scales have lost their credibility momentarily...new batteries on the way. It is of medium weight however, probably in the late 7's?

My love of Specials is based on their aggressive and throaty sound. This particular one shows plenty of PAF traits in the woody clarity, but it has more girth and lower end. The alloy wrap tail is part of their sound. I like their no frills playability and relatively cheaper entry point (versus a Standard from the same year).

Plus they look cool!