• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

2011 Gibson Lies Paul 50's Tribute??

Zeo828

Hi

I saw some 50's Tribute , in black, for sale. This one is a 2011 with P=90's.

But I thought the p-90's were on the 60's models only....

Big Al

Well that explains the Lies part.

Zeo828, the Tribute models refer to the neck size and some of the trim. They never had any of these Studios then and use the TRIBUTE as a Model Name, not as a replica or reissue. That is the tribute models are a type of Studio with satin finishes and either P90's or Humbuckers. The 60 or 50's part refers to the neck shape and it gets more confusing with the 70's Tributes which have a maple neck and Mini Humbuckers!!!!!

They are GREAT guitars for the money, IMO. I mean they are made well, have cool stuff and "for the money" means affordable. They are not a cheap import knock off but full on USA made Gibson Les Pauls. They make excellent platforms to indulge the mad scientist in all of us and I love to customize/mod/hot rod them. In a lot of ways they have brought a lot of the fun back with this range of guitars.

Zeo828

Zeo828, the Tribute models refer to the neck size and some of the trim. They never had any of these Studios then and use the TRIBUTE as a Model Name, not as a replica or reissue. That is the tribute models are a type of Studio with satin finishes and either P90's or Humbuckers. The 60 or 50's part refers to the neck shape and it gets more confusing with the 70's Tributes which have a maple neck and Mini Humbuckers!!!!!

They are GREAT guitars for the money, IMO. I mean they are made well, have cool stuff and "for the money" means affordable. They are not a cheap import knock off but full on USA made Gibson Les Pauls. They make excellent platforms to indulge the mad scientist in all of us and I love to customize/mod/hot rod them. In a lot of ways they have brought a lot of the fun back with this range of guitars.

Thank you for the reply. I know what the guitars are. I understand that they are not exact replicas. It's just my understanding that the 50's Tribute came with humbuckers, while the 60's model came with P-90'S. But I have found some listing of the 50's tribute with P-90's..... did they make some 50's tribute studios with P-90's or is it just a listing error? And yes, I am also aware that the 50' or 60's is just meant to note the neck profile.

tom

it is a great guitar, here's a picture of my 2010 tribute goldtop

my tfeedsd

tonyj

That just about nails it BA. A superb non gimmicky, totally functional guitar for an excellent price. I have the 2011 GT model with those creamy P90s. What's not to like about this thing? It really has brought the fun back into the game of guitars.