• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Anyone experienced with Epiphone pacers?

Wally

http://schematicheaven.net/gibsonamps/ga5_crest.pdf

Big Al, like I said...Gibson and Epi amp models are confusing. Rest assured that you have an Epiphone EA-50 there. It simply is an early version of the EA-50. ....Just as the GA-5 that you like is an early version of the GA-5 model line. There is a GA-5 that is exactly like the EA-50 that carries 2 x 6AQ5 power tubes.
Here is the schematic....
http://schematicheaven.net/gibsonamps/ga5_crest.pdf

Look at it this way.....not all tweed Deluxes have the same tube compliments and circuits as does the 5E3. Gibson simply made greater changes within their model lines. The differences in these GA-5/EA-50 amps is closer to the differences in the Princeton model line over the years. IT went from being a single 6V6 to a 2 x 6V6 with tremolo to an amp with 2 x 6V6's, trem and reverb.
Enjoy your Epi EA-50!!!!

gibson-r8

I have the EA-50 circuit shown in the schematic with the 6AQ5 tubes. I bought it off of Ebay (an amp repair guys favorite opening statement) and it took a bit of work to get it wired up like it shows in the circuit (yikes, point to point is confusing!). Its an interesting amp, definitely not like any other that I have. It took a bit to find the guitar that it likes (an early 70's Electra 2207), but it does rock out with that guitar. It does best with hot pickups, and the tremolo is so rich. Right now I need to do some work on it, I think there is a broken cap going to ground off the 6EU7 (V1). Wally, On the schematic it is shown as a 20, but stupid me cant figure out what that 20 stands for. help?

Wally

gibson r8, that is a cathode bias cap. the value shown is 20mfd. A 25mfd/25V cap would do fine there. Most of the time we see electrolytic....polarized...caps in those positions. That second gain stage is an opportunity..if wanted...to up the gain in that circuit. That 2200ohm cathode resistor could be reduced in value and a bypass cap used there. I agree that many Gibson amp0s don't like to see a Fender type of single coil. A P-90 gets them working as does a good humbucking p-up. But...hey..that is true to some extent fro Fender amps as well, right?

gibson-r8

gibson r8, that is a cathode bias cap. the value shown is 20mfd. A 25mfd/25V cap would do fine there. Most of the time we see electrolytic....polarized...caps in those positions. That second gain stage is an opportunity..if wanted...to up the gain in that circuit. That 2200ohm cathode resistor could be reduced in value and a bypass cap used there. I agree that many Gibson amp0s don't like to see a Fender type of single coil. A P-90 gets them working as does a good humbucking p-up. But...hey..that is true to some extent fro Fender amps as well, right?

Thanks Wally, you rock.

Wally

De nada, gibsonr8. IN rereading my post, I should have said that cap was a cathode bypass cap. IT is part of the cathode biasing circuit for that tube.

Big Al

Not an EA50 but rather an EA50T. Gibson amp models hurt my head. I'm nuts about late 50's GA8 Gibsonettes and am constantly being fed GA8T's which are quite different amps.

Professortwang

Gibson and Ampegs are all over the map! Same amp models have multiple variants with minor differences in the circuit. Often times it is difficult to track down a schematic for a particular variant.

Professortwang

This one is just like the one in the Doug and Pat video, which also shares the GA5 circuit. Like that one, mine sounds mosterous!![/QUOTE]

Nice score! That's my favorite amp in the shootout!

On the bottom edge of the control plate is is marked EA50. The circuit however is SKYLARK/GA5 from appearance as it has the 5Y3/12AX7/6V6 single ended topography. Nothing I could find indicates an EA50 would share that circuit.

This one is just like the one in the Doug and Pat video, which also shares the GA5 circuit. Like that one, mine sounds mosterous!!

Got any pics of that amp Al?