• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Undiscovered Bursts?

deytookerjaabs

Hasn't there also a thread or two of different 50's(suspect) vintage models(a LP and a V i think) having the same serial #?

Well, y'know them other LP models out there that aren't nearly as well catalogued sure get in the way of a guy makin' a good fake. Next thing you know some tattle tale comes along having the same serial # on their little P90 guitar, geez. IMO, the secret is to join the Les Paul underground where you can find those who've kept their broken neck 'bursts but were just dumb enough to dispose of the headstock for no apparent reason. Bingo, ya 'neck it, say "ain't no serial up above" then drop 100 G's on an "entry level" authentic 50's Les Paul. :biggrin:

K701

Well, y'know them other LP models out there that aren't nearly as well catalogued sure get in the way of a guy makin' a good fake. Next thing you know some tattle tale comes along having the same serial # on their little P90 guitar, geez. IMO, the secret is to join the Les Paul underground where you can find those who've kept their broken neck 'bursts but were just dumb enough to dispose of the headstock for no apparent reason. Bingo, ya 'neck it, say "ain't no serial up above" then drop 100 G's on an "entry level" authentic 50's Les Paul. :biggrin:

I don't know about 'tattle tale', all I'm reading here is mumbo jumbo.

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
I don't know about 'tattle tale', all I'm reading here is mumbo jumbo.

I have a 59 Les Paul Special with a serial number very close to my 59 Burst, Sandy.
If a "Burst" shows up with that number, I'll be talking to one and all. :ganz

K701

I have a 59 Les Paul Special with a serial number very close to my 59 Burst, Sandy.
If a "Burst" shows up with that number, I'll be talking to one and all. :ganz

Is that what he was trying to refer to? Well I never. Thanks Tom

Arch D. Bunker

Because there's always the chance that someone could pass a fake with the same serial number of yours. The truth would come up eventually but it's a headache.

There is hardly a better occasion for outing fakers and shady sellers than when bursts turn up with identical serial numbers.

Go ahead and list all yer bursts in the serial log, and make it easier for the fakers to avoid using a duplicate number. That may be more of a headache.

Zentar

A certain percentage of guitars that became involved in divorce settlements simply vanish. Women will destroy some very expensive things if it POs the hubby. I can't see men destroying LPs but I can see women doing this. This is the voice of experience speaking. Your mystical 1400 undiscovered bursts could easily have been destroyed this way. A lot of valuable heirloom firearms disappear this way too. I know this first hand.

Another black hole is Mexico. Remember the story of George Harrison's stolen LP that he amazingly got back from the thief who had it in Mexico. Most don't come back from there.

Sadly a lot of Bursts are just gone forever. Most probably were destroyed before they became valuable.

I have always wondered what went with Steve Marriot when he perished in his home. Some of his Fenders are still alive but where are his Gibbys?

Another reason things never show up on paper again is insurance fraud. Fraud plays a bigger role here than you might think.

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
Go ahead and list all yer bursts in the serial log, and make it easier for the fakers to avoid using a duplicate number. That may be more of a headache.

But if it duplicates the number from another model, besides a Burst, then what? :hmm

S a m

THERE ARE ALSO A LOT OF FAKES OUT THERE THAT SOME WILL SAY ARE REAL AND HAVE BEEN COUNTED OVER THE YEARS AS ORIGINAL --AGAIN IMO.

You know the joke: "Of the 960 violins made by Antonio Stradivari only 2,500 have been located."

Tarcisioo

Hasn't there also a thread or two of different 50's(suspect) vintage models(a LP and a V i think) having the same serial #?

I remember one, but it was a repair number. The sn was long gone, and the repair guys put 0 0101 both on the LP and the V. But not everyone believed they were legit

Tarcisioo

There is hardly a better occasion for outing fakers and shady sellers than when bursts turn up with identical serial numbers.

I hear you, but how would one know that a fake guitar is using a duplicate sn, if the real guitar is sealed from any public mention?

In an hypothetical case, the guy who spent 6 figures for a fake would probably figure out that it's a duplicate number only years after, when the original one surfaces

tuica

Thoughtful original post, as well as some replies. Interesting to speculate what may still exist to be found in 'bursts, and other collectible items. There just has to be more than a few Detective Comics #1 (1939), sitting as yet undisturbed in attic boxes. For those that may not know, one recently sold at auction for slightly over Four Million Dollars. For a comic book that originally sold for ten cents. The mind boggles.

CoolJoMark

From what I know, $259 in 1959 wasn't just some spare coins you'd find lost in your pocket. That was quite a sum for a guitar

taking into consideration inflation...$259 in 1959 in today's market would be around $2200.

marshall1987

As for undiscovered vintage Les Pauls, I'm not buying into the earthquake, tornado, hurricane, natural disaster explanation. Perhaps a few guitars have succumbed to fire damage, but natural disasters? Okay, I'll give ya' 12 guitars total destroyed in natural disasters.

Far more believable is the likelihood of many examples disappearing under the radar due to theft, as was the case with Eric Clapton's famous Les Paul. Then there is the number of vintage Les Pauls stashed away in storage due to any number a factors, such as.....formerly owned by deceased persons who handed down their guitars to unknowing descendants. etc.

corpse

I think he's saying some may have been destroyed by jealousy, spite or hormones. Maybe beyond repair.
Ok- add another two or three to that.