• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

First Gibson Purchase - Les Paul Studio 2016 HP vs Les Paul Classic 2015

boxian

Hi guys, im a hobbyist guitarist who’s looking to buy my first Gibson Les Paul. I intend this guitar to be one that can stay with me for the next 10 years or more. I use a Yamaha THR 10 amp and I play melody to karaoke tracks of pop and rock songs, and lead guitar parts (including solos) to backing tracks I find on YouTube. I don’t see myself recording but may play live in a band setting occasionally for small events, weddings or parties. I currently use an Epihpone dot (with Tesla pickups).

I narrowed my choice down to Les Paul Studio 2016 HP vs Les Paul Classic 2015. Do you guys have any comments or suggestions on how I can make a decision?

Les Paul Studio 2016 HP vs Les Paul Classic 2015

C-grade wood – BB grade wood

490/498 vs 57 pickups

Gold output jack vs no gold output

Thinner neck vs thicker neck

2 tone knobs vs 1 tone knob + 1 volume boost

Titanium nut vs cryogenically treated brass nut

Fast access heel vs traditional heel

1. Do you guys know if the GForce tuners on the Les Paul Classic 2015 are the same as those on the Les Paul Studio 2016 HP? I have read on the internet that the GForce tuners on the Les Paul Classic 2015 are problematic. If the Gforce tuners on the Les Paul Studio 2016 HP are different then they are likely to be improved and that’s another reason to go for the Les Paul Studio 2016 HP instead.

2. Is the difference in wood grade significant?

3. In terms of versatility of sound and tone and functions, which guitar prevails? Versatility is important to me because I am imagining that this guitar will be my main guitar for a good number of years, if not for the long term. So i am looking for something that can play a wide range of types of music (I understand that much of the "sound" is a function of amps and pedals).

4. Does anyone know if the Les Paul Studio 2016 HP has DIP switching functions? I cant seem to figure it out from the website.

5. Also, what are the main benefits of a nitro cellulose finish (on the 2015 Classic)

Thanks all for reading. I welcome all opinions and advice.