• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Computer Generated Amp Tones

Pat Boyack

I have been using amp mods since my first P.O.D. Pro 12 years ago which I got as part of an endorsement deal. I think they are great for demos. I have tried them for master recordings but still go back to real tube amps. Here is something I did with GarageBand this month.

renderit

Sounds great! Did you use and amp at all on it or straight through an interface? I have GB but have not messed with it.
Interestingly enough I helped a buddy back in Kansas put a 427 in his Vega station wagon. My help was strictly shaping the firewall by beating it with a sledge hammer to fit the tranny...

corpse

I remember those trading cards from 7-11.
I like GB but tried adding guitar to stuff recorded live and it was too much for my very limited skill set.

Pat Boyack

Everything is straight into the computer via my Presonus Firebox. I have some nice Studio Project mics for my vocals. At first it takes some tweaking to get the right amp sounds. It's not like getting a good tone off a nice amp. You really need to be careful not to add too much treble or presence. I think GB is a great platform if you are not a studio engineer. It sounds good and is easy to use.

Last edited:

Wilko

All Access/Backstage Pass
That is some good stuff! Right on. I've gotten great results from Garageband for years. Totally easy, and the sound is real good.

Pat Boyack

Thanks Wilko! Yeah, while not a professional platform by any means if you have a basic knowledge of how EQs and sound works it can be a great thing.

sonar

Sounds good Pat.

I like the energy in the perfomance, which can often be tough to achieve with GB.

Wilko

All Access/Backstage Pass
I love how GarageBand isn't considered a professional quality program.

it a shitload more advanced than the gear that was used to record most our favorite albums.