The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
LilyPix
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite

Ooops I did it again!

Yep, I can't seem to help myself. I just scored another single cut double pickup Melody Maker. This one is an Epiphone Olympic, pretty clean, 100% original with case, cord, hang tag and…. wait for it,…. ORIGINAL EPIPHONE PACEMAKER AMPLIFIER!

I am very moist and can't wait for it to ship. This makes for 5th single cut Melodymaker. Yes I love my bumblebees and I am building up the hive once again. For those that don't know the Epiphone Olympic is identical to the Gibson, except the headstock is a wee bit longer, says Epiphone instead of Gibson and in what I think of as a big plus a tortoise shell pick guard, same stuff as the double cut Jrs, instead of the black Gibson style.
    The Pacemaker is for all intents and purposes a Gibson Les Paul Jr, GA5 amp which is basically a Tweed champ in Epi Blue tolex!

If only I could play!!!! Did I say how much I love these little brown sunburst bumblebees? I do, I really do!!!!
    Did I mention I am moist? I am, I really am!

These little beasts play extremely well, are light and I like the pickup, contrary to everyone else. The neck pickup on the double D model is the shizzle. That just has that fat SRV Strat/Texas Blues thang going on, big time. The bridge pickup can be a bit thin sounding, but I have some sweet strategies for fixing that and keeps the original vibe strong. I do have a couple of single pickup Melody makers that I have installed other pickups on and one, a 1960 with a Ttop that Seymour rewound for me in the 70's is just a tone monster that plays so well.

EEEeeeeeee! I can't wait.
    Just another grumpy, gimpy, grizzled geezer, gettin' on the goodfoot!

Re: Ooops I did it again!

Congratulations Big Al! Sounds like a great addition to the collection! Enjoy 🤘

Outstanding.
    So what did you tell Mrs Big Al- it followed you home?

Quote Originally Posted by corpse View Post
    Outstanding.
    So what did you tell Mrs Big Al- it followed you home?
    I'm still waiting for it to arrive at Casa Big Al. With about 50+ guitars and about as many amps on hand, once I secure them into the Tone Temple and get rid of the shipping cartons, it is only a question of slipping it into rotation and it is like it was always there.

I don't display them all and only keep a very few out at any one time, changing them up every couple of months or so in rotation.

Les Paul Forum Member deytookerjaabs's Avatar

Nice, well, post pics when it arrives!

I had a '60 or '61 two pickup MM DC w/trem for almost literally a minute and loved it but I bought it faster than the dough came in so it was a quick sell, another victim of shopping when it's not appropriate. One thing I remember about the Epi version (w/the paddle) is I cut a nut for one after a neck heel repair and it felt funky cutting the outer strings at an inward angle. One guitar I REALLY like in that vein is the 3/4 Melody Makers. There was one at a spot where I bought my twin and I played it for an hour or two when demoing the amp. Assumed it would be cheesy but that little sucker was a smooth operator.

Quote Originally Posted by deytookerjaabs View Post
    Nice, well, post pics when it arrives!

I had a '60 or '61 two pickup MM DC w/trem for almost literally a minute and loved it but I bought it faster than the dough came in so it was a quick sell, another victim of shopping when it's not appropriate. One thing I remember about the Epi version (w/the paddle) is I cut a nut for one after a neck heel repair and it felt funky cutting the outer strings at an inward angle. One guitar I REALLY like in that vein is the 3/4 Melody Makers. There was one at a spot where I bought my twin and I played it for an hour or two when demoing the amp. Assumed it would be cheesy but that little sucker was a smooth operator.
    I had a 62 Double Cut, Double Pickup w/whammy melody Maker for a couple of years that I used on gigs a lot. All stock and I have to say that thing through my BF Super Reverb did the Texas SRV Blues thing better than any of my Strats, AND I LOVE STRATS!!!! I sold it to Buck Sulcer in a moment of weakness and regret it still.

The Double Cut Melody maker D's are still priced right and are really, really cool guitars. If you want to maintain the stock look and go stealth, you can install Seymour Duncan JB Jr and Lil' 59 mini hums under the stock pickup covers and, whoo boy!!! Stand back, Jack it is tone city!!!

In Reno I played with a fella that had a Double Cut Burst Melody maker with a pair of Mini Hums from a deluxe that was one of the best sounding and playing guitars I have ever played. He let me use it all the time, and I let him use my 63 Strat, but he would not sell that sucker too me. AAaaarrrrrgghh!!! I've been on a Single Cut Kick, but honestly with prices the way they are I'd really like to grab a few Double Cuts with whambulators and two pickups. They are quite a bit less than the Single Cut/single pickup versions and really are a much better guitar for overall tone.
    Last edited by Big Al; 05-26-17 at 01:50 PM.

Congrats. Love the necks.
    Renderit, You have an interesting perspective and your posts aren't boring...
    Ren, all in all, I'm giving you a C- today's posts...
    Most of what you write with regards to my posts is cryptic nonsensical gibberish like this. I would prefer if you actually added something to the conversation but hey, I haven't walked in your shoes. So being as nice as possible: I look at your posts as if I was dealing with an eccentric cousin who comes to visit unannounced.

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    I'm still waiting for it to arrive at Casa Big Al. With about 50+ guitars and about as many amps on hand, once I secure them into the Tone Temple and get rid of the shipping cartons, it is only a question of slipping it into rotation and it is like it was always there.

I don't display them all and only keep a very few out at any one time, changing them up every couple of months or so in rotation.
    I once had to delay a delivery by an agonising week and a half on an SG to ensure I would be home alone when it arrived. Within 10 minutes of it being here the shipping carton was at the back of the attic and the shiny case buried under dusty ones.

'Oh this one? I just don't play it often. I'd forgotten how good it was!'

Congrats on your purchase Big Britney. That GA5 sounds very interesting also.

You're making me want to pick one up! There was a beat up but unbroken DC w/trem in Louisville a month or two ago price dropped to $750, I looked at my router and thought "I don't have any P90 guitars...."....dirty deeds. Luckily it sold.

You're making me want to pick one up! There was a beat up but unbroken DC w/trem in Louisville a month or two ago price dropped to $750, I looked at my router and thought "I don't have any P90 guitars...."....dirty deeds. Luckily it sold.
    Basket cases and hulls make for excellent mod platforms. I have a 60 single cut right now that basically is a badly refinished hull that I am in the process of modding into something cool. I thought I might go primitive Americana, Route 66 stylee of rustic artsy on it. I have some cool vintage 1930's Indian Head nickel knobs a forum bro turned me on to and I am thinking of cutting a pickgaurd out of an old metal advertising tin, something cool like chewing tobacco or Indian Motorcycles and use aged metal hardware and trim.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    Basket cases and hulls make for excellent mod platforms. I have a 60 single cut right now that basically is a badly refinished hull that I am in the process of modding into something cool. I thought I might go primitive Americana, Route 66 stylee of rustic artsy on it. I have some cool vintage 1930's Indian Head nickel knobs a forum bro turned me on to and I am thinking of cutting a pickgaurd out of an old metal advertising tin, something cool like chewing tobacco or Indian Motorcycles and use aged metal hardware and trim.

Cool! If you're interested I've got some old "Indian" belt buckle that was in a box I inherited, I'll never do anything with it so it's yours if you want it:

Cool! If you're interested I've got some old "Indian" belt buckle that was in a box I inherited, I'll never do anything with it so it's yours if you want it:

That buckle might outweigh the guitar!

Got it. Succesful intergration into existing hive achieved and evidence disposed of.

OMGGA!!!!! (oh my good gawd almighty), and a great googley boogaly to boot.

The guitar plays and sounds amazing. Classic 60 neck profile witth light milk chocolate Brazilian board. Very, very good 100% stock guitar. Unlike some, the bridge pickup is smoking hot, like a good Blackgaurd Tele.

The EA50 Pacemaker amp is a GA5 Les Paul Jr circuit and sounds like a champ on steroids.
    I am pleased.
    Last edited by Big Al; 05-26-17 at 08:09 PM.

Hopefully you will tickle our eyebuds wit pixtures dude!
    Renderit, You have an interesting perspective and your posts aren't boring...
    Ren, all in all, I'm giving you a C- today's posts...
    Most of what you write with regards to my posts is cryptic nonsensical gibberish like this. I would prefer if you actually added something to the conversation but hey, I haven't walked in your shoes. So being as nice as possible: I look at your posts as if I was dealing with an eccentric cousin who comes to visit unannounced.

Les Paul Forum Member latestarter's Avatar

Good work Al!
    Otherwise known as Grant.

HNGD Al ,,, Better late then never ( just found this thread) ... Some pics , If you can ... 50 Amps ?? Holy moly .....

Keep pushing and you'll get it back ....

Quote Originally Posted by 1jamman View Post
    HNGD Al ,,, Better late then never ( just found this thread) ... Some pics , If you can ... 50 Amps ?? Holy moly .....

Keep pushing and you'll get it back ....
    I'm drowning in a sea of gear I can't use. Had my son put it through a workout and MERCY!! That Olympic D smokes the 60 Melody Maker D! Best bridge pickup I've heard in a Melody Maker. The guitar is on par with my best Tele.

The EA50 Pacemaker amp is the best single ended Tweed Champ style amp, IMO, I've heard.

I've no cell phone or digital camera. Will try to get my son to do some.

I had a conversation with Robben Ford a few years back and we started talking about MM's. He said the early MM's were just a "joy" to play. I have a pic of him playing one that day somewhere...

Hey congrats on your new geetar!

Sounds like you got a good one.
    The farther you go, the closer you are.

Get to work on those pics!!! I played a same year (I think) MM all beat to heck at Mike's in Cincinnati today (on the road) and boy that neck was fat. The price was pretty fat too considering the condition, lol.

Yeah, that buckle anywhere on the lower bout certainly could cure neck dive if a guitar were to have that issue, feels like a solid pound.

Les Paul Forum Member Pellman73's Avatar

Congrats Al