• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

'56 Tele needs a refret, what size

Progear

Just picked a '56 telecaster, the original frets are pre much shot, been dressed one to many times. Just no meat on the bones... which brand and more important what size do you experts recommend ?

thank you

latestarter

I like StewMac # 0152 as it's wider (see below), but 0147 might be more vintage is spec.

0152 here

AtcpLB0.jpg

deytookerjaabs

My vote, as narrow as vintage somewhere between .070 to .080 but the height to your preference, could even make them tall enough to carve a different radius into the frets themselves if you want a more modern feel. Thus, it will look the part but play however you like, not a big fan of super wide frets on vintage guitars that came with thin frets aesthetically speaking.

sonicdom

I have Dunlop 6105's on all my vintage Teles and Strats. They're just a tad wider than the original frets and have enough height that you can dress them a couple of times before you need another refret.

Big Al

Make sure the old frets are not PULLED off when replacing. They must be tapped out from the side enough to grab and slide out, using the pullers.

P.Walker

Make sure the old frets are not PULLED off when replacing. They must be tapped out from the side enough to grab and slide out, using the pullers.

This BIG +1

For me, I like to keep the vintage radius mostly intact, refret with stewmac 0154 (0.05" x 0.100") or jescar 51100 (0.051" x 0.100") do some clever levelling so that bends don't fret out.

This is what Eric Johnson and many pros did before signature guitars and the like...

True dunlop 6105 (or any equivalent size of 0.055" x 0.090") is really too tall...i mean the height itself is fine but the width is disproportionately narrow, and that makes for a very clumsy feeling neck up and down...but if you're a "box" type player you'll be okay. It's like the mcchicken of fretwire....

in short, fretwire close to 0.05" height and 0.100" width should be plenty meat to grind on (0.047" x .104" is another good one, or jescar 45100 that comes stock on gibson historics), and the rest will be on the setup and you as a player.

If you're a player, there's really no reason to stick with original size frets (that's if you can even get them that small anymore), or unless you play a very particular style of rockabilly/jazz.

Progear

Thanks guys for some great advice... They,re some great luthers in my area that have done great work for me in the past but I decide to give philtone guitars in Baltimore the job of the refret. He has a Plek machine and I want to give that a try... I have an appointment in early June to bring the guitar and discuss the refret..

geddy402

Thanks guys for some great advice... They,re some great luthers in my area that have done great work for me in the past but I decide to give philtone guitars in Baltimore the job of the refret. He has a Plek machine and I want to give that a try... I have an appointment in early June to bring the guitar and discuss the refret..

You won't be disappointed. Phil's a great guy and does fantastic work. On top of that he's a tele guy so he'll be stoked with your guitar.

P.Walker

I think he's a good choice.

Make sure you draw the line between preserving the patina of the old fretboard vs prepping a plane surface for the frets to grab on to. Also worth discussing the angle of fret bevels...too shallow and you'll fall off; I leave mine steep and with proper shaping everything feels smooth.

Big Al

I am different than most in that I believe you should choose the fret size and type that you prefer for playing. I use 6100 type wide/tall jumbo wire on my Fenders and keep the vintage radius. My action is medium high I guess but for me a joy to play. I don't like vintage frets and can't see the wisdom of refretting with a type fret that hampers my ability to play. I do not like the 6105 type of narrow/tall fret at all and find them painful!!! Now this is the meat of the point. Everyone has a fret type that suits their style and feel best. It is not a universal given that brand X or size B is the best type. My choice is my choice. Your choice should be yours based on your tastes and playing needs. I have a few old Teles and I gotta say they are remarkable with the bigger frets I use. I lost nothing and gained everything.