• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

'05 Les Paul Standard noise question

Dave71

I've noticed that my '05 Standard (which is stock BTW) is noisier than my Custom Shop Standard. I've owned dozens of LPs' over the years and have noticed this phenomena before. I've never really tried to diagnose why though. The '05 has the metal plate in the control cavity that the pots mount to. Are these set ups using the metal plates susceptible to extra noise? Is there a chance that swapping the pots and just direct mounting them can or could cut down on the noise? I've noticed my '05 SG Standard doesn't have nearly the amount of noise as the LP, and the SG doesn't use the metal plate. All my solder connections are good, and I'm certainly no stranger to soldering electronics, so wiring would be no problem for me. Just was curious if anyone has any insight?

Zentar

Start at the jack. Seems like noises can easily happen there. Is it loose, routed poorly etc.

Can you localize the noise with the pickup selector switch?
Try a shot of electronics aerosol cleaner on the pots.

Yelly

It is often the wire from selector switch to control cavity. "Ordinary" modern LPs have a nasty multi core cable which is often poorly screened (and sometimes the screen is not connected at all). Replacing with old style braided screened wire can make a big difference. I have never found the plate to be to blame.