• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Les Paul TV color layers

guitplayer

I~ll try and offer some help...here is my 55 TV JR.
With some white underneath.

miserneil

So you're sugesting that there is no yellow pigment in the process? That's interesting

No, not at all. I think there was a white base coat, then grain filler then, as J.D. says, and an aniline yellow coat and final clear...

OR..

A white base coat, then a tan pore filler/dye and then a clear coat.

However, I did strip a '57 TV Special that had been refinished in poly Silver. When I stripped it, I found a strip of the original yellow in the cutaway. So I very carefully thinned this back and found a pinkish colour underneath. Now, either this is where the Mahogany has leached into the white and turned it pinkish OR the filler was more pink than tan...i'm not sure!

In these pictures, you can just see the pink colour at the edges of the yellow:

4663E845-5D7B-44D7-AD34-112F854EA065_zpsdaqyn7im.jpg

A12F5000-8835-452D-BAC9-0FD58C0A99BF_zpsca3b8hdu.jpg

9A551872-CAD6-433C-B53B-2647365E5D3D_zps0wxeliii.jpg

ourmaninthenorth

Great thread Lads...I'm learning a lot here.

The pictures you're all posting are fantastic. Thanks.

:salude

P.Walker

Here are some other pics I recently came across of a beyond clean '56 TV in a great article where Clive Brown is cited on a few kew points regarding TV's.
Were they really that yellow, and then just faded, and the clear compensated by yellowing itself? The color under the tuner plate is probably the truest representation of the stock factory yellow color.

Article and more pics here:
http://www.guitar-bass.net/features/vintage-bench-test-1956-les-paul-tv-model/

So much going on, so cool.

Vintage-Bench-Test-41.jpg

Seriously cool. I am dying over here.

57gold

Love the TV finish, in all its variations. Have dreamed about a "banana" yellow 1959 TV Jr after playing one that Gregg at HiTest (a known Juniorholic) had at his place when I bought my 1957 GT. Was featherweight, fat and straight necked, nicely worn around the edges to show layering of shades or TV mounted with a P90 from the gods. Why did I not buy it? It was Gregg's personal instrument. Called a couple of months later because it haunted me and he had sold it...hate when that happens.

Here are my 1957 Jrs, no layering exposed on the TV, yet:

Y7BojpW.jpg

BTW, the 1956 above must be late 1956, the P90 has some space between it and the bridge...or was that move made after 1955?

Last edited: