• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Thinking of buying a 58 historic.

eternalpurple

I would love it if anyone could tell me the differences between a 58 and a 59. Also what are real differences between a reissue, a historic, a true historic and why must they mess with me like this.

P.S......Does anyone here know who Mike Vit is.....He apparently has a guitar in his possession that I have develop a crush on.

CAGinLA

I would love it if anyone could tell me the differences between a 58 and a 59.

One year.

:##

58 Reissues normally have slightly chunkier neck carves than 59 Reissues and 58s have less flame (or no flame) on the maple caps. 59s are supposed to be a little lighter, too.

There are many exceptions to this rule, of course.

The most important difference is that 59s are priced higher, due to the great reputation (and astronomical prices on the vintage market) of the original 59s.

Other than that, they are essentially the same guitar.

eternalpurple

HI
Thanks for the reply..............very informative on the neck. Now decisions, decisions. When I get one I will post it here........Thanks again

renderit

Depends on the year and make. I have a 2014 R8. It has huge flame. The neck is really large. Yet all the TH8's I have played are closer to my R9 from 2013.

IMG_2256.jpg

eternalpurple

That is one very beautiful guitar. I would count myself lucky to find one of it's like. Thanks for the reply.

renderit

I think you are going right to buy a R8. They are the best value for the historics. Plain topped ones are beautiful and those with very slight flame look the best IMO. Play them if you can. The True Historics feel better (more "worn in") to the hand but I like the chunkyness of the 2013 - 2014 spec 58's especially if you like them fat. If you prefer mild chunky and great feeling and can handle the price the TH's are hard to beat.

Ronsonman

I had a 2012 R8. Traded it for a 2016 R9. I remember the frets were shallower than my R9. I remember easily pulling the high E
off the fretboard. Anyone know if there is a difference in fret sizes in recent years for the R8's or was it just my imagination?

Sparta

One man's opinion of course...

I have always thought that the R8 represented the best value for the dollar in the Historic Reissue lineup, including the TH.

I will, and have, spent the extra on TH, but still love my R8 and you can often get a great price on them.

eternalpurple

I want to thank all of you for you great advice and the heads up. You have been very kind to a first poster. I'll take the time to keep you posted....................Thanks again

renderit

Try Lance at Wildwood. He'll hook you up with a tone monster.

eternalpurple

Well the purchase has been made and when I get it I will post pictures. I ended up going in a little bit different direction.

Guitarpete

I have a 2011 R8 and it is a gorgeous player from smooth jazz to earthy blues to ZZ top. Nothing in my collection touches it for playability and tone. It just sounds wonderful. It's worth the money because you're buying something special. Sure my ibanez plays faster and my strats play great but this thing, it has a unique voice for jazz and blues especially. It even smells great. There ok I'm weird!
But seriously you should go for it.

ff1337

I have a 2011 R8 and it is a gorgeous player from smooth jazz to earthy blues to ZZ top. Nothing in my collection touches it for playability and tone. It just sounds wonderful. It's worth the money because you're buying something special. Sure my ibanez plays faster and my strats play great but this thing, it has a unique voice for jazz and blues especially. It even smells great. There ok I'm weird!
But seriously you should go for it.
I love the smell too!!! Lol! And Ren that avatar, lol