• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

JoeB's got a new V

Pellman73

I think the notable "thing" with the sound of a vintage Korina Flying V is the unique construction which includes a string-though-body design. The strings break over the bridge at a fairly steep angle and then couple to the korina body more directly than a stop-tailpiece. Similar to a Telecaster in that regard. The big fat korina one-piece necks ,which join the body at the 21st fret, also contribute to the unique tone of the Flying V.

that all makes sense. I didn't even think about the string thru body part of the equation.

well I"m very well intrigued

and thanks for the further thoughts/notes on these.

in other words they are like Zebra Unicorns with wings that vomit rainbows. and I say that in the least bit snarky and sarcastic way. they are bona fide rarer than rare beasts that live up to the hype. that's pretty damn cool!

and don't nobody tell me zebra unicorns with wings that vomit rainbows are not real.

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
and don't nobody tell me zebra unicorns with wings that vomit rainbows are not real.

I was going to say something, until I found this. :wah

ralph_the_zebra_unicorn_by_lilliamrose-d2xp13z.jpg

57gold

Back in the mid 1970s, a local guy, a very early "vintage dealer", he was a player who subsidized his gig income with guitar trading lent me his 1958 V for a week. He was installing 1956 P90s in my LP Deluxe, the 1956 GT was a very early "conversion", he installed some 1959 double whites in it.

Anyways, the V had the best sounding neck pick up I have ever played, to this day. Fat and articulate, not dark, yet sweeter than honey...a freakin' blues queen of a voice...nothing better.

JB's new one looks a bit gnarly condition-wise, but all that matters is how it sounds plugged in and feels whilst it is singing...

Amazing how one of these shows up..wonder how many other unicorns still roam the planet?

TM1

The first time I played a '50s V, it was a revelation. It is a sound unlike any other. The resonance of mahogany, but with a clarity and definition that no other guitar has. It was a serious "holy fuck!" moment.

And then there's the collector aspect that Charlie alluded to.

Yeah! The first time I played an original "V" was 1974. It was stunning.. A close friend of mine found it down in the Rio Grande Valley(So. Texas) and bought it for $150. Someone had painted it purple so he had it stripped and finished in the correct nitro. He brought it over to me to fix the wiring.. I didn't want to give it back after it was done..He's still kicking himself for trading it off(I think to Norm..) for a `59 Sunburst.

akstrat61

I though Joe told me that he was offered a V a year or so ago in the EU, the V was Fubar, but the case came home with him!:dude:

Funny how things work out!:salude:salude

57gold

A long time central FL dealer told me about his acquisition in the early 1980s of a 1950s V, unfortunately it was white.

He thought about what to do, it was 100%, but white. A real great finish job by a pro...but Vs need to be see through to korina, so he brought it to his best refin guy to have the white removed and have it refinished in clear lacquer. Came out great and he more than paid for the refin.

After he sold it, one of his buddies got access to the Gibson production ledgers and found that V, it was a factory order white! The only one.

Anje

Ouch!!
One of the many possible examples why I always prefer to leave good old stuff as is whenever possible :salude