• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

J.D. Simo talks tone!

CDaughtry

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner and Moderator
My good pal J.D. explains the evolution in his tone.:jim

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/0_BaqBZIAWk?ecver=1" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Wilko

All Access/Backstage Pass
"Beauty and simplicity"

Thanks for sharing!:salude

deytookerjaabs

Good stuff, level headed. I like the sax analogy, at least it's better than old Charlie having to pawn his Alto every week thus playing every other one on the planet and there's not a one of his records that you don't want to steal ideas from. He talked about the hero thing, call me crazy but these days I feel like there's still something to explore when you don't play old stuff on old gear, still lots of approaches left which let the individual shine through. Gatemouth Brown opened for Clapton for a few months and once told him "Eric, why you got all them guitars? Wait, I know you, you need one for each fellas tone you're copping."

Phrasing is where the mind is once you get passed the push ups though it's really regardless of speed. He dropped Wayne Shorter in there, transcribe a Shorter solo and play it at half tempo you have a beautiful composition, same goes for most of those heavy hitters.

He did really rock out with Don, very different technique than say Guthrie who makes up tempo classic honky tonk look, sound and feel effortless. I have to revisit some of that bag myself.

Last edited: