• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Gibson ES-335 (retro or historic r) help!

BluesRockGuy

Hello guys!

I understood that Gibson ES-335 is exactly what I need. I sold my ES-335 from 2006 and 339, because I am ready to buy something more interesting.

I can't decide what kind of ES will be better. I think about two options.

1) ES-335 from Historic Reissiues
2) ES-335 from late 60's.

A new stock ES-335 (Historic) costs similar to ES-335 from 66/67. I know that ES guitars after 1965 has worse specs than those from 62 or 63. Lack of PAF pickups and brazilian rosewood fretboards etc. There is a huge difference between price of Gibson ES-335 from 62 and from 66, but maybe the late ones are still good enough?

What do you think about it? Do you have any experience with ES-335 from late 60's and Historic Reissiues? What would be your choice?

bizzwriter

The neck feel is a big thing for me, which is why I'm not a fan of the late '60s ES-335s with the 1-5/8" nut width. I sold my '67 ES-330 because of the narrower neck. If you like the neck, then I would personally recommend one from the '60s.

The lack of PAF pickups and Brazilian fingerboard in the late-'60s ES guitars is to me not a big deal. They still sound GREAT.

BluesRockGuy

Ok thanks!

What was the nut width before 1965 or 62? What about thickness of neck? Are they rather thick or slim?

I prefer dark and fat sounding guitar, someone told me that late 60's ES guitars are rather bright. Is it ture or it depends on single guitars?

Wilko

All Access/Backstage Pass
If you want dark and fat, you'd probably like early 70s or the mid 80s Dot reissue. The dot gets you a stop tail which tightens them up and the Shaw pickups keep them pretty mellow on the tone compared to the T-tops of the earlier guitars.

My all-time favorite and my keeper is a 1965 with stop tail conversion. It's very light weight and has a jangly brightness and resonance that is spectacular. I do wish that the fretboard hadn't been shaved down so low as it makes the tapred neck even thinner front-to-back than I would prefer.

Before that narrow neck period in the 60s they are all very close to standard "Les Paul-ish" width.

BluesRockGuy

Thank you so much, but I am not interested in 70's or 80'. I would like to make a choice between ES from late 60's or historic reissiues. Is there any difference between guitars from 65, 66, 67, 68? What should I check before I buy guitar from 60's? There is a lot of models, and I wouldn't like to make bad choice or overpay. What is the difference between these kind of stopbars in practice? Sorry, but I am not master of ES guitars. Is there any influence on sound?

p2_u1qwvk3sd_so.jpg
Gibson_es335_1967_cons_top_1.jpg

Wilko

What about the early 70s is not desirable? For me the volute is annoying.

1968 is when the neck went back to regular width, so some '68s will be narrow and some will be regular.

All will have a trapeze unless they are converted. If converted, look for the tail to be in the right place. The one you linked to is a bit far from the bridge. Should be exactly the same as a Les Paul.

Nobi

haven´t played a vintage one but my ´63 Reissue is a great guitar.

reddeluxe

For a complete overview of the "golden Era" 3x5 family of guitars, on up through the late '60's, '70's, and early '80's first dot neck re-issues, go to Charles Gelber's website "the Gibson ES 335" and you will find detailed explanations of the various production changes through the 335 production timeline. Some other things to consider in late '60's early '70's era 335s: three piece necks VS. one piece necks, volute or non volute, neck profile and shape, narrower nut width, flatter peg head angle, generally poorer build, finish, and wood quality with less attention to detail, different sounding pickups, shorter neck tennon, changing "ear" shape, etc. Just because a guitar is "vintage" doesn't automatically make it a good guitar, some of the Gibson ES series from late '90's on to present are excellent guitars, if not the most consistent.

Progrocker111

Some other things to consider in late '60's early '70's era 335s: three piece necks VS. one piece necks, volute or non volute, neck profile and shape, narrower nut width, flatter peg head angle, generally poorer build, finish, and wood quality with less attention to detail, different sounding pickups, shorter neck tennon, changing "ear" shape, etc.

Pickups in late 60s and early 70s are the same stickered T-Tops. Until early 1973 even the electronics is still the same. Bigger difference is the transition to short neck tenon in mid to late 1969. My friend has early 67 and 73 ES 335 and the 73 has darker tone, even unamplified and is acoustically louder. 67 is suprisingly bright and jangly, both have original trapeze tailpiece. They really differ very much from piece to piece, more than Les Pauls for example.

billyjk

I don't own a late 60's 335, but I have owned early 60's Gibsons and I just bought a Memphis '59 335 Reissue (2016). I bought the '59 Reissue to hold me over while I go on the hunt for an early 60's 335, which could take some time.

Now that I've lived with the '59 Reissue for a little while, my biggest concern now is not just eventually finding an early '60s 335 that meets my needs, but it'll be finding one that's better than this '59 Reissue! IMO, it's that good. The fit/finish is spectacular, the feel is spot-on vintage, and the tone is to die for, IMO. Every note on this 335 rings forever and it's dynamic response is killer. Aesthetically, Gibson has done an amazing job of giving it an authentic vintage appearance, without all of the evidence of use/abuse that from other players that accumulates over 50+ years. For some, it might be sacrilegious to give such high praises to the '59 Reissue, and especially to compare it to vintage Gibsons, but this is my experience as of now. I couldn't be happier with this guitar. It definitely sets a super-high bar for my vintage 335 hunt.

So while I can't compare the '59 Reissue to late 60's 335s, I can say that if what I got is typical of what Memphis is building these days, I can wholeheartedly recommend the 2016 version of the '59 Reissue.

Last edited:

treatmanc

Thanks a lot!

Your posts are very helpful

I have a historic 63, from 1996, bade at the Nashville plant, and I've played a 67 all original one. While the historic gives the typical 335 vibe, the 67 sounded " alive" and you could feel every note. The 63 has WCR Godwood set 10.2 bridge and 8.2 neck, the 67 had t-tops. While I struggle to get th right mile ton I'm looking for on th historic, th 67 just had it in spades. I don't think any historic, regardless of pickupmchoices even will be in the same rheum as a good 60's 335.
Just check to see it's all original especially the pickups and there is no breaks or cracks in the neck joint or the headstock area. Have a competent tech you trust blacklight it to make sure.

Old crow

I have a historic 63, from 1996, bade at the Nashville plant, and I've played a 67 all original one. While the historic gives the typical 335 vibe, the 67 sounded " alive" and you could feel every note. The 63 has WCR Godwood set 10.2 bridge and 8.2 neck, the 67 had t-tops. While I struggle to get th right mile ton I'm looking for on th historic, th 67 just had it in spades. I don't think any historic, regardless of pickupmchoices even will be in the same rheum as a good 60's 335.
Just check to see it's all original especially the pickups and there is no breaks or cracks in the neck joint or the headstock area. Have a competent tech you trust blacklight it to make sure.

Its been quite awhile since I've owned an es, but I've been looking at the new Memphis r.i.,s
Then I found this thread and when I read your post I bought a 66 es-345. When it arrives Ill
be back .
thanks for your reminders...

Mark Kane

Here's my '61 Es 345 and '67 Es 335. The 335 is my favorite guitar if I had to choose. The 345 has the original PAF's and original stop tailpiece back on. I put the Grovers on it. This guitar really honks and sings too. Really cool guitar. the second pic is a 66 Guild that absolutely hangs with these Gibsons. It's actually got a fatter, richer kind of tone. It doesn't play as easy as the Gibsons above the 15th fret but I don't get up there much anymore anywho. Don't be afraid of a late '60's ES, they can be as good as it gets.

ES_s_2.jpg

66_Guild_Starfire.jpg

BluesRockGuy

Wow! It's really amazing!

I've been lookig for ES-335 from 60's but I could not find anything interesting so I bought few days ago, typical, stock ES-335 from Memphis factory (2011) and it sounds good. I've been playing for some 63's reissues but I didn't find any interesting example. I am still collecting money for ES-335 from late 60's.