• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Problem with RS Guitarworks pre-assembled pots

Karldoog

Hi everyone.

Just a post to let you know about my screw-up here with my 2010 Les Paul Standard. I assume all responsibility for not researching this whole topic better before putting my money down.

I got a pre-assembled wiring harness with the "superpots" from RS Guitarworks and tried putting them in with a set of DiMarzio pups--an SD and a PAF Pro. It just didn't work--the guitar became totally groundy-buzzy, too hot, squeally and unmanageable. I had a bad buzz in my rig with it, and couldn't get rid of it. After my luthier consulted with RS Guitarsworks, we had to come to the conclusion that the wiring setup just didn't work for these hot pickups (the SD, specifically). A solution of basically reworking my whole setup, gain structure, etc, was proposed, but that would have been unfeasible, and I'm yanking it to replace it with standard, recommended pots for the DiMarzios. My other guitars---some with some hot pups as well--don't have a problem with my rig.

The purpose of this post is not in any way to slam RS Guitarworks--the gentleman there was most helpful and considerate. But I am letting you know that if you're going to try to go for an ultimate pickup-pots combo and choose a very hot pickup, you might want to call them first and find out what they recommend in the setup, instead of just choosing the "Pre-Wired Premium Modern Electronics Upgrade Kit". It may be that these kits work best with stock pickup setups, and if you're going aftermarket pups, they may not be the best thing to drive them.
[h=2][/h]

renderit

That is a new one on me. Never had that problem even with DiMarzios.

J T

Interesting.

I put an RS Modern pre-wired kit in my LP Classic with the Gibson 490 and 500 (Hot) Pickups. It sounds wonderful. Not sure what went wrong with your install.

Karldoog

Interesting.

I put an RS Modern pre-wired kit in my LP Classic with the Gibson 490 and 500 (Hot) Pickups. It sounds wonderful. Not sure what went wrong with your install.

I don't know either, and it genuinely irks the pee out of me. I have instructed my tech to go over the connections with a fine-toothed iron. It is interesting to me that a rep from DiMarzio recommended different value caps, but the buzz was really what irked me. It sounds to me like a cold solder joint or a ground problem. I also was wondering if the selector switch got spun in its hole by a previous owner trying to tighten that damned nut. Maybe a connector got bent or there's some fine break in the connection? My tech is going to go over the solder joints with a multimeter and see if he can find some kind of sloppy solder joint before we rip anything out. I would LOVE for him to find a bad joint and be done with it. I'll update this post as relevant info comes in.

Kris Ford

I don't know either, and it genuinely irks the pee out of me. I have instructed my tech to go over the connections with a fine-toothed iron. It is interesting to me that a rep from DiMarzio recommended different value caps, but the buzz was really what irked me. It sounds to me like a cold solder joint or a ground problem. I also was wondering if the selector switch got spun in its hole by a previous owner trying to tighten that damned nut. Maybe a connector got bent or there's some fine break in the connection? My tech is going to go over the solder joints with a multimeter and see if he can find some kind of sloppy solder joint before we rip anything out. I would LOVE for him to find a bad joint and be done with it. I'll update this post as relevant info comes in.

It only takes one stray connection, or fine hair off a braided wire to muck everything up! Was gonna suggest having the switch checked, they can get spun just like you say.

Good luck!

I've run countless sets of Super Ds through 500Ks..as quiet as realistically possible, so really hoping it was something minor.
My '76 in it's DiMarzio days..(I put 500K volume pots in it on the original plate.)
014_1.jpg

rockabilly69

Hi everyone.

Just a post to let you know about my screw-up here with my 2010 Les Paul Standard. I assume all responsibility for not researching this whole topic better before putting my money down.

I got a pre-assembled wiring harness with the "superpots" from RS Guitarworks and tried putting them in with a set of DiMarzio pups--an SD and a PAF Pro. It just didn't work--the guitar became totally groundy-buzzy, too hot, squeally and unmanageable. I had a bad buzz in my rig with it, and couldn't get rid of it. After my luthier consulted with RS Guitarsworks, we had to come to the conclusion that the wiring setup just didn't work for these hot pickups (the SD, specifically). A solution of basically reworking my whole setup, gain structure, etc, was proposed, but that would have been unfeasible, and I'm yanking it to replace it with standard, recommended pots for the DiMarzios. My other guitars---some with some hot pups as well--don't have a problem with my rig.

The purpose of this post is not in any way to slam RS Guitarworks--the gentleman there was most helpful and considerate. But I am letting you know that if you're going to try to go for an ultimate pickup-pots combo and choose a very hot pickup, you might want to call them first and find out what they recommend in the setup, instead of just choosing the "Pre-Wired Premium Modern Electronics Upgrade Kit". It may be that these kits work best with stock pickup setups, and if you're going aftermarket pups, they may not be the best thing to drive them.
[h=2][/h]

I've used this kit with the PAF anniversary models and Super Distortions and it worked fine, either you got faulty pots or someone wired wrong.

Karldoog

I've used this kit with the PAF anniversary models and Super Distortions and it worked fine, either you got faulty pots or someone wired wrong.
I'm starting to think that the guitar had an issue in the selector switch. I have recalled that there was a strange buzz in the guitar when I bought it, but never paid it no mind because I had always intended to switch out the pups to D's. I think that the new setup and pups only exacerbated the problem in the switch. Hopefully that it what it is....time will tell.

rockabilly69

I'm starting to think that the guitar had an issue in the selector switch. I have recalled that there was a strange buzz in the guitar when I bought it, but never paid it no mind because I had always intended to switch out the pups to D's. I think that the new setup and pups only exacerbated the problem in the switch. Hopefully that it what it is....time will tell.
I'm sure you'll get it sorted! Good luck!

Karldoog

SIGNIFICANT UPDATE HERE!!

Hi guys,
First, thanks to everyone who responded... As you know, I had a vexing problem with my attempt to install some RS Guitarworks pots for two DiMarzio pickups---terrible buzz, a bad grounding problem, which basically rendered the guitar unplayable for any serious studio work. I thought it was some incompatibility problems between the two companys' products.

I was wrong.

Never underestimate the power of an experienced guitar tech...

I got this email yesterday...

"I got back to my shop today and put your guitar on the bench to do more research as promised. I got curious about the grounding of the tailpiece, which is where LP's are usually grounded when the bridge studs are NOT LARGE MOUNT ones as is case w/ your model. As said previously there was a factory ground wire that I connected to the RS components, HOWEVER, as I carefully removed the Tailpiece stud closest to the control cavity I found the end of the ground wire which contacts the metal studs broken off - probably happened when they installed the stud at the factory ( may have been friday 5 o'clock @ Gibson). This means no ground or at the very least suspect ground connect. This wire, btw, is never soldered to the stud as there is no need to do such. Furthermore the addition of the solder would make it near impossible to fit the stud with the soldered wire into an already tight hole. As long as the ground wire makes tight physical contact with the metal stud the grounding is sound. The shearing of this wire can happen readily in the installation process due to the fact that the stud is mounted in to a very tight hole. Properly done ( meaning no wire shear ) the stud along with the ground wire are completely secured indefinitely.
Thus was not the case here. So I installed a new ground wire, reinstalled the stud and did a pull test on the wire from inside control cavity to make sure I had not sheared it off ! Which it is currently not."

Sooo...there was the source of my buzz problem! We're going to do a full test this afternoon with my rig and see if it is "fixed". My tech is going to shield the pickup cavity just as added insurance against noise, and I'll of course keep everyone updated. :)

Jimi's LP

Hi everyone.

[h=2][/h]

I don't know what you and your luthier couldn't do right. But I have in my 1998 Gibson R9 a set of Dimarzio super distortion on the bridge and the 36th anniversary on the neck with my RS guitarworks short shaft super pots. It's in 50s wiring with vintage bumblebees and working great with no issues. I don't understand why that person from RS guitarworks said that to you. Because my super pots are over 7 years old and just recently installed my Dimarzio set.

Last edited:

PaulD

Thread is over 6 years old and the OP hasn't been on the forum for almost 5 years! :rolleyes: