• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Les paul split coil function not that noticeable if at all

Guitarwulfe1

I am finding the split coil to humbucker function on a 2012 Premium Plus and a 2017 Standard does not provide a disernable difference. I thought maybe there was a wireing issue with my 2012 but the 2017 is the same. The reverse phase on both is noticeable as well as bypass. Just the split coil function is very blasé.

Kutt

I am finding the split coil to humbucker function on a 2012 Premium Plus and a 2017 Standard does not provide a disernable difference. I thought maybe there was a wireing issue with my 2012 but the 2017 is the same. The reverse phase on both is noticeable as well as bypass. Just the split coil function is very blasé.

Are you playing with a lot of gain? Gritty? Clean? Other? You should at least hear a difference on a clean amp, though it may not be very appealing sounding (blasé). I have an SG with stock coil splitting on a set of Burstbucker 1 & 3 pups, and they just don't sound all that great when split. Most (if not all) Gibson humbuckers were never really intended to have a very usable single coil sound in my opinion, but if you need it in a pinch it's nice to have. The day those pots start going bad on that guitar I'm uninstalling the coil splitting all together.

Guitarwulfe1

Are you playing with a lot of gain? Gritty? Clean? Other? You should at least hear a difference on a clean amp, though it may not be very appealing sounding (blasé). I have an SG with stock coil splitting on a set of Burstbucker 1 & 3 pups, and they just don't sound all that great when split. Most (if not all) Gibson humbuckers were never really intended to have a very usable single coil sound in my opinion, but if you need it in a pinch it's nice to have. The day those pots start going bad on that guitar I'm uninstalling the coil splitting all together.

Yeah, clean amp and as directed by the Sweetwater guitar guru as far as settings. Still no change. At least for me. I do have some hearing loss yet on my Malinoski Hondo with coil tap it is a very noticeable difference.

Flat6

Yeah, clean amp and as directed by the Sweetwater guitar guru as far as settings. Still no change. At least for me. I do have some hearing loss yet on my Malinoski Hondo with coil tap it is a very noticeable difference.

I have some some hearing loss myself but I can hear the difference. YouTube has a few demos of these and you can definitely hear the difference there. These Les Pauls have become like Swiss army knives of tone.

On some models you can choose coil split vs tap, or choose which split coil is left on. Humbuckers are just a combination of two single coils wired to cancel the hum, and can be very versatile. If you "coil split" one you get a pure single coil. A "coil tap" is not necessarily a single coil signal. Hope that helps.