The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
LilyPix
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite
    Les Paul Forum Member

WIZZ PICKUPS OWNERS!

Quick question. I ordered a pair on April 1st. I know he shuts down after he gets a certain number of orders. How long do they take to get to my door on the East Coast, US? Just wondering. I just got my BK Mules in the mail yesterday and I'm going to do an A/B Comparison. Thinking about filming it. Thanks!
    "...it's a fool who plays it cool by making his world a little colder." Lennon-McCartney

Les Paul Forum Member

Re: WIZZ PICKUPS OWNERS!

I would say 6 weeks or so. Great guy to deal with, but I think he takes his time and that is what we are paying for really. Look forward to the comparison. You picked a pair of winners.

Les Paul Forum Member slater529's Avatar

Looking forward to your comparison!

Les Paul Forum Member

Looking forward to the comparison, too.

Les Paul Froum Member duaneflowers's Avatar
    Behind a badass Lester somewhere in Japan

Alex only accepts a certain number of orders per month and won't bite off more than he can chew that month. He winds pickups throughout the month, so depending on when your order was placed, winding will not begin until it reaches its place in the queue, after which it will probably take about a week or so to travel to you from Croatia. Once he ships them he will let you know and will provide tracking information, at which point you'll have your only true measure of when to expect them. If in doubt you can always shoot him an email asking for an ETA.

Looking forward to your comparison...
    Tone To The Bone!
    LP=[(CC*8)+(Sig*5)+(R9*2)+R8+R7+R6+(R4*2)+(50sT*2)+Stu D+LPX]+[(EpI*19)+(EsP/Ed*6)+(ToKi*3)+(Ba*3)+(Fe/Bu*2)+(ObG)+(CMS)]

I'm in the same boat. He opened the webstore a little early and I ordered mine March 30th. I sent him an email last week asking when I should expect them and he told me he will would ship them out at the end of April.

Ordered Vintage Wires March 2nd and they arrived April 4th (in Canada). Took a while in the shipping...started worrying if they were lost or "apprehended", but then they showed up and life was complete!! They sound really nice - best all 'round set I've had!!

Les Paul Forum Member

I still haven't received them.
    "...it's a fool who plays it cool by making his world a little colder." Lennon-McCartney

Quote Originally Posted by mustachio View Post
    I still haven't received them.
    I still haven't received mine either. I'm assuming we're not getting a tracking number?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick-O View Post
    I would say 6 weeks or so. Great guy to deal with, but I think he takes his time and that is what we are paying for really. Look forward to the comparison. You picked a pair of winners.
    He is a good guy, well worth the wait !

Les Paul Forum Member

Replied to me this morning. They're in the mail!!!! Super Excited.

Replied to me this morning. They're in the mail!!!! Super Excited.
    Awesome !!

Got mine today. Hopefully I'll get them put in tomorrow evening.

Do you have them installed?

I have 2 sets installed... 1 from each run... they are the closest to real PAFs that I have thusfar had the pleasure to have encountered...

Tone To The Bone!
    LP=[(CC*8)+(Sig*5)+(R9*2)+R8+R7+R6+(R4*2)+(50sT*2)+Stu D+LPX]+[(EpI*19)+(EsP/Ed*6)+(ToKi*3)+(Ba*3)+(Fe/Bu*2)+(ObG)+(CMS)]

Quote Originally Posted by 60pinstripe View Post
    Do you have them installed?
    Yeah I ended up installing them the day I got them. They sound great!

Les Paul Forum Member

Holy shit-snacks. I just had mine installed in my True Historic '58 today. I am totally blown away. I thought that the Custom Buckers were incredible and was just going to do a quick A/B and flip the Wizzes. Nope. Bye-bye Custom Buckers. Worth every penny.

Holy shit-snacks. I just had mine installed in my True Historic '58 today. I am totally blown away. I thought that the Custom Buckers were incredible and was just going to do a quick A/B and flip the Wizzes. Nope. Bye-bye Custom Buckers. Worth every penny.
    I haven't been able to try out the Custom Buckers, but I agree that they are fantastic! I've had them in for a couple of weeks now and they sound so much better to me than the 57 classics that were in my Lester before. The one big thing I noticed is how much louder and clear they are when I'm trying to play slide. Before it sounded muffled and now I can hear it really well. Best of all though, I've lost all feelings of needing to tinker with my guitar now that they are in there!

Les Paul Forum Member Pellman73's Avatar

I just ordered a set

now I just need to figure out what to put them in!

fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Pellman73 View Post
    I just ordered a set

now I just need to figure out what to put them in!

fun.
    You won't regret it! I've had them in for over a month now and they sound absolutely fantastic!

Quote Originally Posted by Ship View Post
    You won't regret it! I've had them in for over a month now and they sound absolutely fantastic!
    They usually take about a month to open up... so yours should be just about ripe... they tend to open up and mellow out a bit and the sweetness factor expands exponentially...
    Tone To The Bone!

Quote Originally Posted by duaneflowers View Post
    They usually take about a month to open up... so yours should be just about ripe... they tend to open up and mellow out a bit and the sweetness factor expands exponentially...
    What is it that happens during the beak in period that contributes to the pickups opening up?

What is it that happens during the beak in period that contributes to the pickups opening up?
    I don't know all the exact technicalities, but as current is run through the wire it tends to change the pickup properties. I'm sure the magnet has something to do with it as well, but they always seem to mellow out a bit over the first few months. Since pickups are a closed system every component plays an important part in the final tone so it is probably a combination of all of them working together as electricity is introduced to that circuit. I've noticed the change is more pronounced with some pickups and hardly noticeable in others... so there are no hard and fast rules... and of course since tone is subjective YMMV...
    Tone To The Bone!

Thanks for the heads up! I didn't even think about that but it totally makes sense. It's like a caterpillar transforming into a butterfly!

I just picked up a Bacchus "Cut" Clapton Explorer-nice guitar with light, korina wood. It had Wizz pickups installed by Dan Erlewine's shop before I got it. I've compared it to a couple of guitars with real PAFs now. The bridge is brighter than 58s, not as hot as 59s and similar in character to 60s in my guitars. The neck is a really nice hollow tone that's pretty similar to a 58 neck, a little milder than a 59 and similar to the 60. They hum a bit, which makes sense since the coils are supposed to be slightly unbalanced, although they hum less with both together, so I wonder if they're wound so the overwound coils are RWRP to each other? All in all, i think they're a pretty decent representation of a generic PAF sound and well worth trying!

cool thanks for the post. looking forward to getting mine

Les Paul Forum Member

I'm still in the honeymoon phase with my Wizz set. They have a feel that is much different than all the other modern PAF reproductions I've tried. Wizz are a little more forgiving but not mushy, great sustain, a touch microphonic but that's what you want. [IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by mustachio; 06-25-17 at 07:47 PM.

hi yall-

just got mine

I was like "what is a package from croatia"

anyhow!

how do I know bridge vs neck (dumb question probably ). just check the resistance and put the hotter pup in the bridge? or does it say somewhere...

hi yall-

just got mine

I was like "what is a package from croatia"

anyhow!

how do I know bridge vs neck (dumb question probably ). just check the resistance and put the hotter pup in the bridge? or does it say somewhere...
    I tested just to be sure. But mine had longer wire for the neck and the wire was also at the bottom of the pickup so you could tell which one was which by the location of the pole pieces. The neck ring that came with mine is shorter and angled as well. Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Ship View Post
    I tested just to be sure. But mine had longer wire for the neck and the wire was also at the bottom of the pickup so you could tell which one was which by the location of the pole pieces. The neck ring that came with mine is shorter and angled as well. Hope that helps.
    oh yea! duh. the neck rings should make it clear

thanks man

Ok I busted out the soldering iron, watched a youtube vid, and slapped these puppies in my CC 15 Hank Greg Derek Slash Plank and I have to say

THEY ARE AMAZING!!!! HOLY SHEEP SHIT!!

wow--- just great. both the neck and the bridge. I'm not sure if I can say anything other then they sound incredible and make me not want to put down my guitar and its making sounds it aint done never made before

look pretty nice too (these are the rings that came with them as well)

I'm a believer. scheming on another set

http://

Ok I busted out the soldering iron, watched a youtube vid, and slapped these puppies in my CC 15 Hank Greg Derek Slash Plank and I have to say

THEY ARE AMAZING!!!! HOLY SHEEP SHIT!!

wow--- just great. both the neck and the bridge. I'm not sure if I can say anything other then they sound incredible and make me not want to put down my guitar and its making sounds it aint done never made before

look pretty nice too (these are the rings that came with them as well)

I'm a believer. scheming on another set
    Welcome to the club... it looks great!!

Did you get one of the old wire sets?
    Tone To The Bone!

You mean like from thro-back-- or something like that ? The whole harness w the pots deal?

You mean like from thro-back-- or something like that ? The whole harness w the pots deal?

He means the sets that Alex wound with old vintage wire from the 1950's.

He means the sets that Alex wound with old vintage wire from the 1950's.
    Yeah... that! Alex got a hold of a few spools of vintage wire and those sets are the proverbial cat's meow...
    Tone To The Bone!

Yeah... that! Alex got a hold of a few spools of vintage wire and those sets are the proverbial cat's meow...
    oh wow-- I'm not sure but I don't think so...

I think these were just his standard offering... that sounds very cool though

oh wow-- I'm not sure but I don't think so...

I think these were just his standard offering... that sounds very cool though
    The vintage wire sets are $800, so you would know if you got one. Wizzes are my favorite aftermarket pickups and the old wire sets are simply stellar... if the wire isn't all gone (which I'm led to believe that it is) then I would grab a set before it is...
    Tone To The Bone!

The vintage wire sets are $800, so you would know if you got one. Wizzes are my favorite aftermarket pickups and the old wire sets are simply stellar... if the wire isn't all gone (which I'm led to believe that it is) then I would grab a set before it is...
    Gotcha

no,I do not have the vintage wire ones but that sounds very cool