The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
LilyPix
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite
Results 1 to 39 of 39
  1. #1
    Les Paul Forum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Worcester, MA
    Posts
    79

    WIZZ PICKUPS OWNERS!

    Quick question. I ordered a pair on April 1st. I know he shuts down after he gets a certain number of orders. How long do they take to get to my door on the East Coast, US? Just wondering. I just got my BK Mules in the mail yesterday and I'm going to do an A/B Comparison. Thinking about filming it. Thanks!
    "...it's a fool who plays it cool by making his world a little colder." Lennon-McCartney

  2. #2
    Les Paul Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    96

    Re: WIZZ PICKUPS OWNERS!

    I would say 6 weeks or so. Great guy to deal with, but I think he takes his time and that is what we are paying for really. Look forward to the comparison. You picked a pair of winners.

  3. #3
    Les Paul Forum Member slater529's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Bend, WA
    Posts
    137

    Re: WIZZ PICKUPS OWNERS!

    Looking forward to your comparison!

  4. #4
    Les Paul Forum Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    England, UK
    Posts
    1,577

    Re: WIZZ PICKUPS OWNERS!

    Looking forward to the comparison, too.

  5. #5
    Les Paul Froum Member duaneflowers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Behind a badass Lester somewhere in Japan
    Posts
    1,798

    Re: WIZZ PICKUPS OWNERS!

    Alex only accepts a certain number of orders per month and won't bite off more than he can chew that month. He winds pickups throughout the month, so depending on when your order was placed, winding will not begin until it reaches its place in the queue, after which it will probably take about a week or so to travel to you from Croatia. Once he ships them he will let you know and will provide tracking information, at which point you'll have your only true measure of when to expect them. If in doubt you can always shoot him an email asking for an ETA.

    Looking forward to your comparison...
    Tone To The Bone!
    LP=[(CC*8)+(Sig*5)+(R9*2)+R8+R7+R6+(R4*2)+(50sT*2)+Stu D+LPX]+[(EpI*19)+(EsP/Ed*6)+(ToKi*3)+(Ba*3)+(Fe/Bu*2)+(ObG)+(CMS)]

  6. #6
    Les Paul Forum Member Ship's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    The OC
    Posts
    74

    Re: WIZZ PICKUPS OWNERS!

    I'm in the same boat. He opened the webstore a little early and I ordered mine March 30th. I sent him an email last week asking when I should expect them and he told me he will would ship them out at the end of April.

  7. #7

    Re: WIZZ PICKUPS OWNERS!

    Ordered Vintage Wires March 2nd and they arrived April 4th (in Canada). Took a while in the shipping...started worrying if they were lost or "apprehended", but then they showed up and life was complete!! They sound really nice - best all 'round set I've had!!

  8. #8
    Les Paul Forum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Worcester, MA
    Posts
    79

    Re: WIZZ PICKUPS OWNERS!

    I still haven't received them.
    "...it's a fool who plays it cool by making his world a little colder." Lennon-McCartney

  9. #9
    Les Paul Forum Member Ship's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    The OC
    Posts
    74

    Re: WIZZ PICKUPS OWNERS!

    Quote Originally Posted by mustachio View Post
    I still haven't received them.
    I still haven't received mine either. I'm assuming we're not getting a tracking number?

  10. #10
    Les Paul Forum Member NYCBURST's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    New York City and Philadelphia
    Posts
    29

    Re: WIZZ PICKUPS OWNERS!

    Quote Originally Posted by Nick-O View Post
    I would say 6 weeks or so. Great guy to deal with, but I think he takes his time and that is what we are paying for really. Look forward to the comparison. You picked a pair of winners.
    He is a good guy, well worth the wait !

  11. #11
    Les Paul Forum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Worcester, MA
    Posts
    79

    Re: WIZZ PICKUPS OWNERS!

    Replied to me this morning. They're in the mail!!!! Super Excited.
    "...it's a fool who plays it cool by making his world a little colder." Lennon-McCartney

  12. #12
    Les Paul Forum Member NYCBURST's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    New York City and Philadelphia
    Posts
    29

    Re: WIZZ PICKUPS OWNERS!

    Quote Originally Posted by mustachio View Post
    Replied to me this morning. They're in the mail!!!! Super Excited.
    Awesome !!

  13. #13
    Les Paul Forum Member Ship's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    The OC
    Posts
    74

    Re: WIZZ PICKUPS OWNERS!

    Got mine today. Hopefully I'll get them put in tomorrow evening.

  14. #14

    Re: WIZZ PICKUPS OWNERS!

    Do you have them installed?

  15. #15
    Les Paul Froum Member duaneflowers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Behind a badass Lester somewhere in Japan
    Posts
    1,798

    Re: WIZZ PICKUPS OWNERS!

    I have 2 sets installed... 1 from each run... they are the closest to real PAFs that I have thusfar had the pleasure to have encountered...

    Tone To The Bone!
    LP=[(CC*8)+(Sig*5)+(R9*2)+R8+R7+R6+(R4*2)+(50sT*2)+Stu D+LPX]+[(EpI*19)+(EsP/Ed*6)+(ToKi*3)+(Ba*3)+(Fe/Bu*2)+(ObG)+(CMS)]

  16. #16
    Les Paul Forum Member Ship's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    The OC
    Posts
    74

    Re: WIZZ PICKUPS OWNERS!

    Quote Originally Posted by 60pinstripe View Post
    Do you have them installed?
    Yeah I ended up installing them the day I got them. They sound great!

  17. #17
    Les Paul Forum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Worcester, MA
    Posts
    79

    Re: WIZZ PICKUPS OWNERS!

    Holy shit-snacks. I just had mine installed in my True Historic '58 today. I am totally blown away. I thought that the Custom Buckers were incredible and was just going to do a quick A/B and flip the Wizzes. Nope. Bye-bye Custom Buckers. Worth every penny.
    "...it's a fool who plays it cool by making his world a little colder." Lennon-McCartney

  18. #18
    Les Paul Forum Member Ship's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    The OC
    Posts
    74

    Re: WIZZ PICKUPS OWNERS!

    Quote Originally Posted by mustachio View Post
    Holy shit-snacks. I just had mine installed in my True Historic '58 today. I am totally blown away. I thought that the Custom Buckers were incredible and was just going to do a quick A/B and flip the Wizzes. Nope. Bye-bye Custom Buckers. Worth every penny.
    I haven't been able to try out the Custom Buckers, but I agree that they are fantastic! I've had them in for a couple of weeks now and they sound so much better to me than the 57 classics that were in my Lester before. The one big thing I noticed is how much louder and clear they are when I'm trying to play slide. Before it sounded muffled and now I can hear it really well. Best of all though, I've lost all feelings of needing to tinker with my guitar now that they are in there!

  19. #19
    Les Paul Forum Member Pellman73's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Pinehurst, NC
    Posts
    690

    Re: WIZZ PICKUPS OWNERS!

    I just ordered a set

    now I just need to figure out what to put them in!

    fun.

  20. #20
    Les Paul Forum Member Ship's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    The OC
    Posts
    74

    Re: WIZZ PICKUPS OWNERS!

    Quote Originally Posted by Pellman73 View Post
    I just ordered a set

    now I just need to figure out what to put them in!

    fun.
    You won't regret it! I've had them in for over a month now and they sound absolutely fantastic!

  21. #21
    Les Paul Froum Member duaneflowers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Behind a badass Lester somewhere in Japan
    Posts
    1,798

    Re: WIZZ PICKUPS OWNERS!

    Quote Originally Posted by Ship View Post
    You won't regret it! I've had them in for over a month now and they sound absolutely fantastic!
    They usually take about a month to open up... so yours should be just about ripe... they tend to open up and mellow out a bit and the sweetness factor expands exponentially...
    Tone To The Bone!
    LP=[(CC*8)+(Sig*5)+(R9*2)+R8+R7+R6+(R4*2)+(50sT*2)+Stu D+LPX]+[(EpI*19)+(EsP/Ed*6)+(ToKi*3)+(Ba*3)+(Fe/Bu*2)+(ObG)+(CMS)]

  22. #22

    Re: WIZZ PICKUPS OWNERS!

    Quote Originally Posted by duaneflowers View Post
    They usually take about a month to open up... so yours should be just about ripe... they tend to open up and mellow out a bit and the sweetness factor expands exponentially...
    What is it that happens during the beak in period that contributes to the pickups opening up?

  23. #23
    Les Paul Froum Member duaneflowers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Behind a badass Lester somewhere in Japan
    Posts
    1,798

    Re: WIZZ PICKUPS OWNERS!

    Quote Originally Posted by 60pinstripe View Post
    What is it that happens during the beak in period that contributes to the pickups opening up?
    I don't know all the exact technicalities, but as current is run through the wire it tends to change the pickup properties. I'm sure the magnet has something to do with it as well, but they always seem to mellow out a bit over the first few months. Since pickups are a closed system every component plays an important part in the final tone so it is probably a combination of all of them working together as electricity is introduced to that circuit. I've noticed the change is more pronounced with some pickups and hardly noticeable in others... so there are no hard and fast rules... and of course since tone is subjective YMMV...
    Tone To The Bone!
    LP=[(CC*8)+(Sig*5)+(R9*2)+R8+R7+R6+(R4*2)+(50sT*2)+Stu D+LPX]+[(EpI*19)+(EsP/Ed*6)+(ToKi*3)+(Ba*3)+(Fe/Bu*2)+(ObG)+(CMS)]

  24. #24
    Les Paul Forum Member Ship's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    The OC
    Posts
    74

    Re: WIZZ PICKUPS OWNERS!

    Quote Originally Posted by duaneflowers View Post
    They usually take about a month to open up... so yours should be just about ripe... they tend to open up and mellow out a bit and the sweetness factor expands exponentially...
    Thanks for the heads up! I didn't even think about that but it totally makes sense. It's like a caterpillar transforming into a butterfly!

  25. #25
    Les Paul Forum Member DrRobert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    5,802

    Re: WIZZ PICKUPS OWNERS!

    I just picked up a Bacchus "Cut" Clapton Explorer-nice guitar with light, korina wood. It had Wizz pickups installed by Dan Erlewine's shop before I got it. I've compared it to a couple of guitars with real PAFs now. The bridge is brighter than 58s, not as hot as 59s and similar in character to 60s in my guitars. The neck is a really nice hollow tone that's pretty similar to a 58 neck, a little milder than a 59 and similar to the 60. They hum a bit, which makes sense since the coils are supposed to be slightly unbalanced, although they hum less with both together, so I wonder if they're wound so the overwound coils are RWRP to each other? All in all, i think they're a pretty decent representation of a generic PAF sound and well worth trying!

  26. #26
    Les Paul Forum Member Pellman73's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Pinehurst, NC
    Posts
    690

    Re: WIZZ PICKUPS OWNERS!

    cool thanks for the post. looking forward to getting mine

  27. #27
    Les Paul Forum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Worcester, MA
    Posts
    79

    Re: WIZZ PICKUPS OWNERS!

    I'm still in the honeymoon phase with my Wizz set. They have a feel that is much different than all the other modern PAF reproductions I've tried. Wizz are a little more forgiving but not mushy, great sustain, a touch microphonic but that's what you want. [IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by mustachio; 06-25-17 at 07:47 PM.

  28. #28
    Les Paul Forum Member Pellman73's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Pinehurst, NC
    Posts
    690

    Re: WIZZ PICKUPS OWNERS!

    hi yall-

    just got mine

    I was like "what is a package from croatia"

    anyhow!

    how do I know bridge vs neck (dumb question probably ). just check the resistance and put the hotter pup in the bridge? or does it say somewhere...

  29. #29
    Les Paul Forum Member Ship's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    The OC
    Posts
    74

    Re: WIZZ PICKUPS OWNERS!

    Quote Originally Posted by Pellman73 View Post
    hi yall-

    just got mine

    I was like "what is a package from croatia"

    anyhow!

    how do I know bridge vs neck (dumb question probably ). just check the resistance and put the hotter pup in the bridge? or does it say somewhere...
    I tested just to be sure. But mine had longer wire for the neck and the wire was also at the bottom of the pickup so you could tell which one was which by the location of the pole pieces. The neck ring that came with mine is shorter and angled as well. Hope that helps.

  30. #30
    Les Paul Forum Member Pellman73's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Pinehurst, NC
    Posts
    690

    Re: WIZZ PICKUPS OWNERS!

    Quote Originally Posted by Ship View Post
    I tested just to be sure. But mine had longer wire for the neck and the wire was also at the bottom of the pickup so you could tell which one was which by the location of the pole pieces. The neck ring that came with mine is shorter and angled as well. Hope that helps.
    oh yea! duh. the neck rings should make it clear

    thanks man

  31. #31
    Les Paul Forum Member Pellman73's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Pinehurst, NC
    Posts
    690

    Re: WIZZ PICKUPS OWNERS!

    Ok I busted out the soldering iron, watched a youtube vid, and slapped these puppies in my CC 15 Hank Greg Derek Slash Plank and I have to say

    THEY ARE AMAZING!!!! HOLY SHEEP SHIT!!

    wow--- just great. both the neck and the bridge. I'm not sure if I can say anything other then they sound incredible and make me not want to put down my guitar and its making sounds it aint done never made before

    look pretty nice too (these are the rings that came with them as well)

    I'm a believer. scheming on another set

    http://

  32. #32
    Les Paul Froum Member duaneflowers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Behind a badass Lester somewhere in Japan
    Posts
    1,798

    Re: WIZZ PICKUPS OWNERS!

    Quote Originally Posted by Pellman73 View Post
    Ok I busted out the soldering iron, watched a youtube vid, and slapped these puppies in my CC 15 Hank Greg Derek Slash Plank and I have to say

    THEY ARE AMAZING!!!! HOLY SHEEP SHIT!!

    wow--- just great. both the neck and the bridge. I'm not sure if I can say anything other then they sound incredible and make me not want to put down my guitar and its making sounds it aint done never made before

    look pretty nice too (these are the rings that came with them as well)

    I'm a believer. scheming on another set
    Welcome to the club... it looks great!!

    Did you get one of the old wire sets?
    Tone To The Bone!
    LP=[(CC*8)+(Sig*5)+(R9*2)+R8+R7+R6+(R4*2)+(50sT*2)+Stu D+LPX]+[(EpI*19)+(EsP/Ed*6)+(ToKi*3)+(Ba*3)+(Fe/Bu*2)+(ObG)+(CMS)]

  33. #33
    Les Paul Forum Member Pellman73's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Pinehurst, NC
    Posts
    690

    Re: WIZZ PICKUPS OWNERS!

    Quote Originally Posted by duaneflowers View Post
    Welcome to the club... it looks great!!

    Did you get one of the old wire sets?
    You mean like from thro-back-- or something like that ? The whole harness w the pots deal?

  34. #34
    Les Paul Forum Member Pellman73's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Pinehurst, NC
    Posts
    690

    Re: WIZZ PICKUPS OWNERS!

    Quote Originally Posted by duaneflowers View Post
    Welcome to the club... it looks great!!

    Did you get one of the old wire sets?
    You mean like from thro-back-- or something like that ? The whole harness w the pots deal?

  35. #35

    Re: WIZZ PICKUPS OWNERS!

    Quote Originally Posted by Pellman73 View Post
    You mean like from thro-back-- or something like that ? The whole harness w the pots deal?
    He means the sets that Alex wound with old vintage wire from the 1950's.

  36. #36
    Les Paul Froum Member duaneflowers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Behind a badass Lester somewhere in Japan
    Posts
    1,798

    Re: WIZZ PICKUPS OWNERS!

    Quote Originally Posted by Pellman73 View Post
    You mean like from thro-back-- or something like that ? The whole harness w the pots deal?
    Quote Originally Posted by 60pinstripe View Post
    He means the sets that Alex wound with old vintage wire from the 1950's.
    Yeah... that! Alex got a hold of a few spools of vintage wire and those sets are the proverbial cat's meow...
    Tone To The Bone!
    LP=[(CC*8)+(Sig*5)+(R9*2)+R8+R7+R6+(R4*2)+(50sT*2)+Stu D+LPX]+[(EpI*19)+(EsP/Ed*6)+(ToKi*3)+(Ba*3)+(Fe/Bu*2)+(ObG)+(CMS)]

  37. #37
    Les Paul Forum Member Pellman73's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Pinehurst, NC
    Posts
    690

    Re: WIZZ PICKUPS OWNERS!

    Quote Originally Posted by duaneflowers View Post
    Yeah... that! Alex got a hold of a few spools of vintage wire and those sets are the proverbial cat's meow...
    oh wow-- I'm not sure but I don't think so...

    I think these were just his standard offering... that sounds very cool though

  38. #38
    Les Paul Froum Member duaneflowers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Behind a badass Lester somewhere in Japan
    Posts
    1,798

    Re: WIZZ PICKUPS OWNERS!

    Quote Originally Posted by Pellman73 View Post
    oh wow-- I'm not sure but I don't think so...

    I think these were just his standard offering... that sounds very cool though
    The vintage wire sets are $800, so you would know if you got one. Wizzes are my favorite aftermarket pickups and the old wire sets are simply stellar... if the wire isn't all gone (which I'm led to believe that it is) then I would grab a set before it is...
    Tone To The Bone!
    LP=[(CC*8)+(Sig*5)+(R9*2)+R8+R7+R6+(R4*2)+(50sT*2)+Stu D+LPX]+[(EpI*19)+(EsP/Ed*6)+(ToKi*3)+(Ba*3)+(Fe/Bu*2)+(ObG)+(CMS)]

  39. #39
    Les Paul Forum Member Pellman73's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Pinehurst, NC
    Posts
    690

    Re: WIZZ PICKUPS OWNERS!

    Quote Originally Posted by duaneflowers View Post
    The vintage wire sets are $800, so you would know if you got one. Wizzes are my favorite aftermarket pickups and the old wire sets are simply stellar... if the wire isn't all gone (which I'm led to believe that it is) then I would grab a set before it is...
    Gotcha

    no,I do not have the vintage wire ones but that sounds very cool

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Scroll Down And Click On All Of Our Sponsors' Logos For Their Websites!