• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Robbie Robertson -Testimony -Great Read

kiwi burst

One of the most interesting fact filled books on the 60s and 70s music scene that I've read. Compelling accounts of his time with Dylan and a host of encounters with many of my favourite guitar players from James James (Hendrix!) to Clapton (who may have aspired to join The Band).

SpencerD

Uhhh....kiwi burst....with all due respect to a posting member at Les Paul forum......there are very different views and opinions about Mr. Robertson. I'm just saying man. Take that for what it's worth,his book,his point of view and those things.

Otto 57

Uhhh....kiwi burst....with all due respect to a posting member at Les Paul forum......there are very different views and opinions about Mr. Robertson. I'm just saying man. Take that for what it's worth,his book,his point of view and those things.

Just curious. Can you elaborate?

SpencerD

It's been very well documented over the years. Very,very bad things happened between members of The Band after they split up.

jb_abides

This Wheel's on Fire was an excellent read. Loved it.

Will probably get around to Robbie's but, yeah, you know what you are getting.

:salude

SpencerD

Black Crowes at Levons' home/studio in Woodstock,New York. Playing a Velvet Underground song. Adam,Luther,Chris,Rich,Sven and Steve.

(Trivia time bitches! :peace2 There isn't any nails in the barn. Mortiise and tenon woodwork.The whole place,it's not small either.)

Enjoy.

Last edited:

zhivago

Levon's book is an excellent read, and he is my favourite Band member by a country mile for sure, but Robbie's book was equally as great in my opinion.

He actually is very classy throughout without disputing stuff Levon said. I was initially worried that it was going to be a "set the record straight" kind of book, but it is anything but that and the recollections he has bring up some awesome stories.

In fact the coolest thing about the book is how it focuses on his musical career all the way to the end of The Band. Basically the bit that everyone wants to read about.

I'd seriously advise buying it and deciding for yourselves. It would be a shame to miss out on such a good read. :jim

gmann

Why would anyone side with Levon over Robbie? I don't know who is right but unless you were there neither do you. Levon comes off as bitter, and yes, I've read his book. Levon actually has a co-writing credit with Robbie but wrote nothing of consequence on his own while with The Band or after. Robbie continued to write great stuff including film scores. Being in the room while songs are being written doesn't get you a credit, ask G. Harrison. None of the others make the claims that Levon makes or support him in his claims. If he thought he had a credit coming he should have said something then. Again, I have no insight into any of this beyond what I've read.

kiwi burst

Thanks Zhiivago - felt as if I'd stepped on something for a moment there although will make a point of reading Helm's book.

city sirens

Why would anyone side with Levon over Robbie? I don't know who is right but unless you were there neither do you. Levon comes off as bitter, and yes, I've read his book. Levon actually has a co-writing credit with Robbie but wrote nothing of consequence on his own while with The Band or after. Robbie continued to write great stuff including film scores. Being in the room while songs are being written doesn't get you a credit, ask G. Harrison. None of the others make the claims that Levon makes or support him in his claims. If he thought he had a credit coming he should have said something then. Again, I have no insight into any of this beyond what I've read.

Musicians sometimes don't realize the "power" of songwriting and the long-term financial rewards that go with it, in term of copyright.

zhivago

Thanks Zhiivago - felt as if I'd stepped on something for a moment there although will make a point of reading Helm's book.

No problem at all...definitely check out Levon's book when you get a chance :salude

becks bolero

Levon's book is highly recommended, I thought it was great

I will probably read Robbie's too, to get his angle on everything. Plus he probably has some good stories as well

Humbuster

I just finished this book and enjoyed it very much. Some good stories and for the most part he is complimentary to his band mates.

However, at times I felt it should have been titled "Music From Big Ego" as Robbie seems to have a very high opinion of himself and his contribution to popular music.