• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Investment guitars

Kris Ford

Here is the partnering bass...which for some period was called a Jack Cassidy Signature (as in Jefferson Airplane and Hot Tuna for the youngsters):

ufzfxro9prwl0et6oprn.jpg

Anybody know anything about the pick ups and electronics on these?

I believe they were some low impedance type.

Grog

Here is the partnering bass...which for some period was called a Jack Cassidy Signature (as in Jefferson Airplane and Hot Tuna for the youngsters):

ufzfxro9prwl0et6oprn.jpg

Anybody know anything about the pick ups and electronics on these?

I have a set of these also. The pickups are low impedance super humbuckers, I think they were designed by Bill Lawrence. Both pickups in the guitar, the pickup in the bass are the same pickup. The three position selector switch, is an impedance selector switch I believe.

I bought this on eBay a few years ago. The seller said it was rarer than hens teeth..........

Last edited:

Progrocker111

Early 70s Les Pauls prices have gone up significantly, especially here in Europe. Nowadays its nearly impossible to find early 70s Custom in good original condition under 4000 EUR (4400 $). 70 and 71 Customs are even more expensive. Deluxes are a bit cheaper, but even by tehm its the same tendency.

And btw., those minihumbuckers can sound killer, i really like these pickups. :)

Here is 73 Deluxe through 72 Hiwatt DR103, fully cranked. By no means shrill or thin sounding...

https://soundcloud.com/progrocker-2/deluxe22
https://soundcloud.com/progrocker-2/1973-gibson-les-paul-deluxe-hiwatt-dr103

style0

Ok, it’s been a year. There are a lot more walnut finished ES Gibson’s around. Some stores were blowing them out for deeply discounted prices due to no sales. What I was expecting was for the resurgence of walnut colored guitars raising the prices of vintage walnut ones. Going by prices being asked on eBay and Reverb they have definitely gone up, but I don’t see any sales. Oh well. I’ve got a 1972 ES 345 walnut that I love. I needed a 345 and I could get a walnut one for $1500 to $2000 cheaper than other colors out there, so I can live with that.

El Gringo

I think investment guitars is a misnomer . Here's why , because in today's depressed market for all things guitar I would humbly suggest to play for love and enjoyment .Not looking to make a buck or cash in on the next big thing in instruments .Find a guitar that speaks to you that you love and play it .

treeofpain

An investment guitar is one that you purchase below current market value and subsequently sell at a profit. It can be a 1978 Fender Musicmaster bass if it is priced right.

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
All of my personal guitars pay dividends. Sometimes well beyond the cost. :ganz

AA00475Bassman

Investment guitars ? Really would you buy a tone turd because you speculate future value to rise ? Im sure there is many killer guitars never played to preserve future value such a shame !

GotTheSilver

From my experience, those are almost always modern "limited editions".

I don't really understand this, personally. Over time, Gibson has made "improvements" to the Historic Les Pauls. If I was in the market to buy a Les Paul, I would be looking at the new models with the hide glue construction, etc., rather than looking at a spending more on a limited edition from 10-15+ years ago that did not have the upgraded specs of the more recent models. Personally, I can't understand at all the prices I have seen on some of the Pearly Gates and such guitars lately. But then, I buy guitars to play, not as an investment. I know other people look at certain instruments differently.

GotTheSilver

Back to the OP. He predicted that over the last year, walnut finished Gibsons would be hot. Was he right? I know Memphis recently released a walnut finish 335. Beyond that, I don't really know what the market has been like.

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
I don't really understand this, personally. Over time, Gibson has made "improvements" to the Historic Les Pauls. If I was in the market to buy a Les Paul, I would be looking at the new models with the hide glue construction, etc., ....rather than looking at a spending more on a limited edition from 10-15+ years ago that did not have the upgraded specs of the more recent models. Personally, I can't understand at all the prices I have seen on some of the Pearly Gates and such guitars lately. But then, I buy guitars to play, not as an investment. I know other people look at certain instruments differently.

I would be looking for a guitar that I would want to play forever. And I would judge that by playing it, not by reading specs. Best investment ever. :ganz

style0

Seems like a strange hobby. :wah

BTW: How did that work out for you? :hmm :ganz
It’s a hobby because I can’t afford to buy and sell vintage guitars. I love to follow trends and keep track what the market for them is though.

So basically it worked out great for me, no investment other than my time.

JBLPplayer

Very true. I guess the barometer is Joe Bonamassa now; and he collects EVERYTHING!
I actually do not collect everything. I collect solid body Gibson and Fender guitars and Fender amps pre-1968. Buy what you love , don’t follow trends, be passionate about what you buy, and most importantly be prepared to lose money on them... Guitars are not stocks, they are instruments to enjoy. :salude
Joe B

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
BTW: How did that work out for you? :hmm :ganz

I love to follow trends and keep track what the market for them is though.

So basically it worked out great for me, no investment other than my time.

I meant, how did your prediction work out. Was it correct?

And another BTW .... I have several strange hobbies myself. They can be quite fun, on a personal level. :salude

style0

I meant, how did your prediction work out. Was it correct?

And another BTW .... I have several strange hobbies myself. They can be quite fun, on a personal level. :salude

There were many more new walnut colored Gibson ES guitars available. Lots more than in the past. I don’t think it had any effect on the vintage walnut guitar prices though.

GotTheSilver

I would be looking for a guitar that I would want to play forever. And I would judge that by playing it, not by reading specs. Best investment ever. :ganz

Agreed, Tom. Tone and that personal connection to a guitar trump all!!!

style0

I actually do not collect everything. I collect solid body Gibson and Fender guitars and Fender amps pre-1968. Buy what you love , don’t follow trends, be passionate about what you buy, and most importantly be prepared to lose money on them... Guitars are not stocks, they are instruments to enjoy. :salude
Joe B

Thanks for the advice, also thanks for all the Vintage joy you bring to the world.

Last edited: