• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Allan Holdsworth has passed

Karldoog

I think what he meant was, he'd rather be playing a horn or a sax or a violin, not an uncommon statement from jazzmen who dream of being Coltrane or Miles. Heck, I'm often envious of keyboard players, with their ability to play many chord voicings that are difficult to finger on guitar, and their access to an endless variety of synth sounds.

I DID read where he said that; question is, at some point in his life he could have afforded a horn. Why didn't he go after his first love?

I had access to a guitar synth once. I stayed up for like, 36 hours, just goofing around with it. I was actually glad to see it go, lol. It was honestly addictive. :)

Ed Driscoll

Les Paul Forum Member
I DID read where he said that; question is, at some point in his life he could have afforded a horn. Why didn't he go after his first love?

He spent his whole adult life making a living playing in bands -- at times with some pretty heavyweight musicians such as Tony Williams and Bill Bruford -- playing and mastering guitar. Few if any people would chuck that to start over on horn or sax, no matter how much they envy the instrument or the players.

I had access to a guitar synth once. I stayed up for like, 36 hours, just goofing around with it. I was actually glad to see it go, lol. It was honestly addictive. :)

I enjoy the various flavors of guitar synths that I own, and they timbres they produce. But they also make my simultaneously envious of keyboard players. But that doesn't mean that I don't love that I can play guitar. I think you're taking his quote too literally. :hmm

Karldoog

He spent his whole adult life making a living playing in bands -- at times with some pretty heavyweight musicians such as Tony Williams and Bill Bruford -- playing and mastering guitar. Few if any people would chuck that to start over on horn or sax, no matter how much they envy the instrument or the players.

I enjoy the various flavors of guitar synths that I own, and they timbres they produce. But they also make my simultaneously envious of keyboard players. But that doesn't mean that I don't love that I can play guitar. I think you're taking his quote too literally. :hmm
True, and I may be... :)

SpencerD

Guys like Holdsworth are so cool.

Jazz guys play lots of notes for the relatively small audience at their shows. Rock guys play three chords for many thousands of people at their shows.

The same thing but completely different right? Or something. --- It's all music man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vY9nU8EG0eg

Last edited:

Dave P

I'm thrilled to see that they've surpassed that goal!

At the same time I'm heartbroken that even a virtuoso who has been so very influential had such a tough go of it in his lifetime. Nothing new, I know, but it saddens me.

I was blown away how fast the money came in. I was great to see the love and respect people had for him. At least now he will receive a proper funeral without a huge financial burden on the family.