• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

RIP: Evan Johns

Jeff West

I learned recently of the passing last month of hard-driving, hard-drinking guitar and Vox Continental wrangler and songsmith Evan Johns, presumably now on eternal Vacation Time down the road apiece. I wanted to acknowledge him, because some of the most fun times of my life ca. 1981 were at his bar gigs under the influence of various dancing partners, frantically digging the scorching nonstop delivery of the H-Bombs. One time at the end of the night I noticed I had completely sweated through a pair of leather shoes. Anyone here ever hang out at Fridays on Tate St. in Greensboro in them days?

He also was an interesting conversationalist with what I'd call his own sly takes on the human condition. I enjoyed seeing him later on in Louisiana and Texas, but those early H-Bomb gigs with Pedro or Mark Korpi on second guitar were unbeatable! RIP: Evan, the sound and soul of your stripped Broadcaster thru a dimed white Fender lives on, at least in my neck of the woods!

https://youtu.be/VSY2jb83PTQ