• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Nitro cellulose greenguard issues.

Kris Ford

Thanks!

I ordered one of the 59-65

Nice, for your MIM?

I need a (and will get!) a 60's Classic Series to complete my lil set.

When going for that NOS look, which color covers and knobs work best you think?

Wilko

All Access/Backstage Pass
I've got another project 1984 E series Squier with a great flamey neck. I just put a 2 patent number fender decal on it. RIght now it's black but will probably do a Fiesta Red "knopfler" job.

For pickup covers, I like to get regular factory ones and tint them very lightly with tea as the tinted stuff is always too dark (as seen on my MIM classic). I don't know what knobs yet...

Here it is on the left wit the Singapore nitrate guard:

4_strats.png

sikoniko

Why not just get an MJT body and keep the black body so you can swap them out when you want something different?

I've got another project 1984 E series Squier with a great flamey neck. I just put a 2 patent number fender decal on it. RIght now it's black but will probably do a Fiesta Red "knopfler" job.

For pickup covers, I like to get regular factory ones and tint them very lightly with tea as the tinted stuff is always too dark (as seen on my MIM classic). I don't know what knobs yet...

Here it is on the left wit the Singapore nitrate guard:

4_strats.png

Wilko

The "Lashing" guard showed up today looking a bit too green as well.

After 4 hours under blacklight, I got it a bit lighter. Possibly expecting some yellowing.

The image may be confusing. What this image shows is a composite of alternating vertical stripes so that the difference can be seen at all areas of the image where the stripes are front, back, repeating.

lashing_UV.jpg

latestarter

Interesting...I have just received a 62RI guard from the 90s and it is almost perfect. Need some the yellow lacquer for the final touch. The bevel is wrong however, and I'll need to work on that.

Wilko, I do believe that original guards age at different degrees so we will always struggle to get a perfect match for each guitar...there are too many variables. What do you think?

Wilko

certainly there is a lot of variation. There is just something about the tint of the originals that I've just rarely seen in repros.

The Lashing guard it seems has some attempt to look green whereas the old Chandler that I had was not trying to be green. It was just made as the originals and was more off an off-white/greyish color. Ir aged just as the originals.