• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

UFO/Michael Schencker/Flying V/Marshall

Pat Boyack

Been getting to this stuff lately. Michael's Marshalls sound pretty good.

Last edited:

251blckgrds

I just went to see Saxon and UFO at the Arcada in St.Charles Ill. No Schenker, but it was still cool to hear the old songs.

Last edited:

marshall1987

WOW......this must be early UFO and very raw at that too. :3zone UFO's front man never did much for me.

The lyrics aren't the same as on the UFO album, which I first heard in 1974. So I'm guessing this video is from 1972-73.

Michael Schenker's tone was pretty straight forward. Flying V version 2, cry-baby wah, Marshall super lead. :salude

Elmore

Pat, thanks for posting that. I had not seen it. I really like Michael Schenker's guitar style. So fluid. He is around 18 in that clip. Been a fan since around 1980. I discovered Michael Schenker and Budgie around the same time. I just opened a thread with a Budige performance.

Check out this Michael Schenker performance:

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/EGY0KEGVK6Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:

Progrocker111

I like very much especially their 74-77 period (4 albums). Schenkers bright and gritty T-Top tone compliments great with their music and raspy voice of their singer.

Pat Boyack

Pat, thanks for posting that. I had not seen it. I really like Michael Schenker's guitar style. So fluid. He is around 18 in that clip. Been a fan since around 1980. I discovered Michael Schenker and Budgie around the same time. I just opened a thread with a Budige performance.

Check out this Michael Schenker performance:...........

Yeah man!! I have just recently been going back to that stuff. My bass player grew up and played with Shawn Lane in Memphis and he was telling me how much they listened to UFO growing up. When I got into music Michael had already left UFO along with Pete Way.

I like very much especially their 74-77 period (4 albums). Schenkers bright and gritty T-Top tone compliments great with their music and raspy voice of their singer.

"No Heavy Petting", "Force it", "Lights Out".......great stuff.

Kris Ford

Yeah man!! I have just recently been going back to that stuff. My bass player grew up and played with Shawn Lane in Memphis and he was telling me how much they listened to UFO growing up. When I got into music Michael had already left UFO along with Pete Way.

"No Heavy Petting", "Force it", "Lights Out".......great stuff.

Don't forget Phenomenon!:yah

A fave of that LP:

Elmore

There is just something about the way he plays. I suppose it is just melody, but it seems like more than that. The solo that starts at 3:45 below is the one that got my attention. It still does:

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ypYkkDwJBxw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Kris Ford

Michael rules, but he ain't no Uli Jon Roth.:peace2
Michael is actually in this video as well BRIEFLY..like blink and you'll miss him! He's the tall skinny kid playing a Strat..you really only catch glimpses of him. (at 2:33 and 3:13)
Speaking of Uli..dig the Strat pickup in his Firebird III...but the switch is up, so that has to be the FB pickup..anyways this rocks!

Elmore

Kris, oh yeah! I though I was the only person that knew about Ulrich Roth, the Scorpions guitarist before Mathias Jabs took over. Tokyo Tapes (Scorpions live from 1978) is the bomb. I discovered Tokyo Tapes, Budgie, and UFO (Michael Schenker) all at the same time, around 1980. Man that is some good rock guitar. Here is a good one from Tokyo Tapes:

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/oBbvsEQxwvE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Kris Ford

Kris, oh yeah! I though I was the only person that knew about Ulrich Roth, the Scorpions guitarist before Mathias Jabs took over. Tokyo Tapes (Scorpions live from 1978) is the bomb. I discovered Tokyo Tapes, Budgie, and UFO (Michael Schenker) all at the same time, around 1980. Man that is some good rock guitar. Here is a good one from Tokyo Tapes:

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/oBbvsEQxwvE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Hell yeah! I have that on vinyl!

BIG influence here..looking at one of these BECAUSE of him!
qnnrvpyiy69z2gvwcrow.jpg

Musicman

For me Schenker is "THE" man and has "THE" tone I've always loved. :dude:

JR.Deluxe

Michael is a great player . Problem for me with his post UFO music is i dont connect with the songwriting . Its good but not UFO good.