• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

1968 Les Paul Reissue, Tri Burst With Strange Serial Number

pavcny

Hello all, I'm new to the forum. I currently in the market for a Les Paul Reissue and came across someone selling a Gibson Custom Shop Les Paul Custom 68RI Tri Burst. My understanding is that reissues normally have a serial number that starts with an R. This one has a serial number that is just 023558. Is there something different form 68RI or should I be suspicious?

A family friend who works with Gibson also said that there were no sunbursts in 1968. Not sure if there is a different with a tri burst. Any information on the reliability of this guitar would be appreciated. And how much would something like this usually run for in good condition? Thank you in advance!

smjntn2vyxigywhl1gn3.jpg

J.D.

'68 Customs do not follow the Historic LP Standard serial numbering format. This is likely a 2002 model.

pavcny

Thank you for the quick response. The tri burst is a legit color for a 1968?

What is your opinion on getting this as an investment as well? I plan on playing it myself, but would like it as a long time investment. Thank you!

J.D.

Tri-burst was a factory finish. Some of these had the slim neck profile. I'd caution against purchasing it solely as a financial investment.

latestarter

Tri-burst was a factory finish. Some of these had the slim neck profile. I'd caution against purchasing it solely as a financial investment.

I agree with JDs summation of buying anything like as an investment. I would add though that some of them had very big necks. I had a tri burst 68 and it was more like an R8 neck.

Your friend is right, there were no tri burst 1968's from the Gibson factory. Just another wtf from the long list of historically incorrect RIs from Gibson.

J.D.

Correct, the standard neck profile for this model is the larger R7/R8 profile but there was a run made in this tri-burst finish with the slim R0 profile.

While a cool guitar, it really isn't historically accurate but has the Historic line features (i.e. long neck tenon, ABR-1).

RandyGoldtop

As noted above, the serial # for these usually starts with the model year. I have a 2007 that was purchased new and the serial # is 07xxxx. Mine has the 60's slim taper neck. It's a killer guitar, but is really heavy (roughly 10.5 lbs.). My Uncle had a real 68 for most of my life and the neck profile was similar between the two.

cincyguitar

Nice looking burst.....so many reissues trying to pass for 68's..there must be a million 68 Les Pauls now....lol

lpnv59

All Access/Backstage Pass
Nice looking burst.....so many reissues trying to pass for 68's..there must be a million 68 Les Pauls now....lol

In '68, Gibson brought back 2 Les Paul models only. A 2 pickup maple cap Custom Black Beauty and a 2 P90 Gold Top.

pavcny

Thank you for the information. I decided to pass on this one. For some reason, several 69RI in tri burst suddenly came out on eBay during the last few days. Either way, if I go with a reissue I'd rather choose something historically accurate. Appreciate the help.