• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

2016 left-over LP Traditional Pro III impressions...

Karldoog

Hey guys,

I saw a different LP Standard on a website for Guitar Center and went up there intending to trade an old vintage Carvin V220 for it, I fell in love with this left-over 2016 Trad-Pro III. I think the top (Heritage Cherry Burst) is killer, and I have always loved the pickguard look.

I wasn't crazy about the zebra pickup scheme, but honestly, when I plugged it in, I just KNEW...man, this guitar SINGS, seriously, with incredible harmonic resonance and bite. I know that these push-pull pots haven't got great reviews, but you should seriously try out the versatility of the tones you can get. If the top first caught my eye, the tones stole my heart. And it has a perfect neck size--not as chunky as my 2013 '59 R9, but fast and very comfortable. I also had the tech pull the back plate off it and thankfully it doesn't have one of those weird circuit boards as some used to have.

I got a good deal on it, and am super pumped. What a versatile instrument, and solid as a rock--no chambering in this baby.

If you get a chance to play one of these, and you've had your doubts about the fancy electronics, I heartily recommend that you at least try one and see what you can get out of the different combos. It's pretty impressive. :dude:
2016%20LP%20Tr%20Pro%20III%2018_zps4dfjklto.jpg

2016%20LP%20Tr%20Pro%20III%204_zpsrcs5rpf5.jpg

2016%20LP%20Tr%20Pro%20III%202_zps080tqall.jpg

1all's Pub

Nice! Congrats! HNGD!!!!!!!

I recently picked up the first generation of the Trad Pro (a 2009)... killer LPs.

PHILBERT

I do genuinely love everything about them! Congrats on your purchase!

I know exactly what you mean by versatility... The range of great tones from this Classic 57 variant is something I never expected, and was pleased to have. I traded off my "color me gone" Historic, with flame and color to die for, for my Trad Pro II. I added another push/push pot on the bridge tone control for the out of phase option. As a standard Les Paul tone, it's as good as I have ever hoped for. Outstanding over so many I have tried and never heard that classic woody mid snarl and growl from. This one does it, but it gets better! The single coil neck pickup sounds extremely Strat like...I mean very convincing. I love switching from LP humbucking bridge to Strat neck at a flick of the selector switch. Real magic happens when you combine those two tones. Holy cow! I usually dial back the neck to around 3 or so, and run the bridge at 7.5 or thereabouts. Then all three selections balance out perfect. Sure, there are many more decent tones to be had. It can kind of approach Tele bridge tone on single coil bridge inner coil.

FYI - I discovered my single coils were wired backwards from the factory. They split both to leave the inner coils active...not the outer, like it should have been. I checked that with the old metal screwdriver tap test on the pole pieces. I reversed the wiring and corrected that. The single coil tone, especially on the neck, improved drastically. And combined single tone really sounds better with the outside coils active. No other guitar I own gives me such a combination of distinct usable variety. Not a bad tone to be found!

I too love the neck feel. Got some meat on the bone, but not fat. Just right. Great shoulders with no cramping. The nut was not cut right and will be replaced when I get around to it. I also added the Tronical tuners for alternate tuning memory. That really adds a lot more versatility, and makes this the ultimate "Swiss Army Knife" of guitars. I replaced the Nashville bridge with an ABR-1, and the tone became even fuller, but I contemplate putting a piezo bridge in place and wiring a stereo jack to do acoustic guitar simulation. That would be the ultimate tone addition! I also contemplate sending it off to KL to have the finish and binding done to my idea of the perfect colors...and maybe take those ridiculous pointy mustache ears off the corners of the headstock. Such an excellent instrument... It's a shame they don't get the headstock shape right like the old ones.

Rock on!

Karldoog

I know exactly what you mean by versatility... The range of great tones from this Classic 57 variant is something I never expected, and was pleased to have. I traded off my "color me gone" Historic, with flame and color to die for, for my Trad Pro II. I added another push/push pot on the bridge tone control for the out of phase option. As a standard Les Paul tone, it's as good as I have ever hoped for. Outstanding over so many I have tried and never heard that classic woody mid snarl and growl from. This one does it, but it gets better! The single coil neck pickup sounds extremely Strat like...I mean very convincing. I love switching from LP humbucking bridge to Strat neck at a flick of the selector switch. Real magic happens when you combine those two tones. Holy cow! I usually dial back the neck to around 3 or so, and run the bridge at 7.5 or thereabouts. Then all three selections balance out perfect. Sure, there are many more decent tones to be had. It can kind of approach Tele bridge tone on single coil bridge inner coil.

FYI - I discovered my single coils were wired backwards from the factory. They split both to leave the inner coils active...not the outer, like it should have been. I checked that with the old metal screwdriver tap test on the pole pieces. I reversed the wiring and corrected that. The single coil tone, especially on the neck, improved drastically. And combined single tone really sounds better with the outside coils active. No other guitar I own gives me such a combination of distinct usable variety. Not a bad tone to be found!

I too love the neck feel. Got some meat on the bone, but not fat. Just right. Great shoulders with no cramping. The nut was not cut right and will be replaced when I get around to it. I also added the Tronical tuners for alternate tuning memory. That really adds a lot more versatility, and makes this the ultimate "Swiss Army Knife" of guitars. I replaced the Nashville bridge with an ABR-1, and the tone became even fuller, but I contemplate putting a piezo bridge in place and wiring a stereo jack to do acoustic guitar simulation. That would be the ultimate tone addition! I also contemplate sending it off to KL to have the finish and binding done to my idea of the perfect colors...and maybe take those ridiculous pointy mustache ears off the corners of the headstock. Such an excellent instrument... It's a shame they don't get the headstock shape right like the old ones.

Rock on!
Interesting, about the coil wiring. I am happy with the way mine sounds as is; I don't even know if they're backward or not.

I would definitely recommend you holding off on monkeying with the finish and binding. I mean, if you're going to go that route, you might as well just contact a competent luthier and have a custom guitar built. You'll destroy any resale value on the guitar, and although you may be in love with her now, there is a certain "Honeymoon period" with every instrument, and inevitably they all lose their luster after a while. You may regret what you do later.

Besides, rather than have a "Swiss Army" guitar, I"d just rather get a second one to do whatever it is that I think I"m missing!

By the way, I just picked up a second Trad Pro 11, 2013. Got a killer deal from a private seller.

DSC08830_zps18e8b4tr.jpg

DSC08843_zpsig4kjce3.jpg