• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Early 70's Minihums anyone tried them in a Firebird

Erwin Puke

I was wondering if there members who tried the lat 60's or early 70's pat. sticker mini humbuckers in a modern Firebird?
And offcourse do you liked the tone?

I recently bought a 2017 Firebird T VSB because i thought i needed one :) the sound of the new ceramic firebird pickups is little harsh so i've tried
the 1973 mini humbuckers from my 1973 Goldtop (who has P90's for a long time) and i like it, more vintage tone than the originals but i can't compare
with a 60's Bird because there no one i know who has one.......

My question is: Are there members here who like the old mini from a Deluxe in a Firebird or am i the only idiot?

Some pictures are allways better, so her is mine
33873285936_f5882baa92_b.jpg
[/URL]Gibson Firebird T VSB 2017 by Erwin Puke, on Flickr[/IMG]
33873286156_879ab671bc_b.jpg
[/URL]Gibson Firebird T VSB 2017 (3) by Erwin Puke, on Flickr[/IMG]
33101297453_8ba83e1f58_b.jpg
[/URL]Gibson Firebird T VSB 2017 (2) by Erwin Puke, on Flickr[/IMG]

Kris Ford

Sweet! It just CAN'T suck.

And conversely, those new FB pickups might sound KILLER in the Deluxe! I'd try it!

I actually like the new pickups myself..my fancy '16 here..I put a set of 60's reflectors on mine.

Erwin Puke

Kris,

Nice Bird, i don't know why Gibson put black reflectors on the new Firebirds i like the combination gold and wood better
Mine are not from the sixties but they do the job
And thanks...now i definitely need a coiled cable......:)

gmann

There are a couple of winders out there making really great Firebird pups that you might want to look at. www.mojotone.com make a Johnny Winter FB set that sound fantastic in my FB V. Also www.rcpickups.com make an excellent one as well. Either of these will sound much better than the stock ceramics.

Triplet

Great combo!. Probably has the woodiest tone of all my guitars. It's a 2003 FB and Minis from a 1973 SG.

DSC00801.jpg

TM1

My 2003 FB VII has mini's with offset poles. The mini's came from old Silvertone's. gibson made them in the early `60's for whomever made the Silvertone's(I wanna say Kay but could be Harmony. Both were Chicago area guitar manufactures. I like the mini's better as they are warmer than my original, `60's & `70's Firebird pickups.

Erwin Puke

My 2003 FB VII has mini's with offset poles. The mini's came from old Silvertone's. gibson made them in the early `60's for whomever made the Silvertone's(I wanna say Kay but could be Harmony. Both were Chicago area guitar manufactures. I like the mini's better as they are warmer than my original, `60's & `70's Firebird pickups.

you've tried the pickups or do you 60's and 70's firebirds?
The question now is how are mini's with the offset poles compared to the pat. sticker minihums :hmm