• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

If you had to choose: 68-to-early-69 LP Custom... or 52/53 trapeze-tail LP?

AlienVintage

I figured this was probably a question for the late 60s LP crowd, although I could also have put it in the 52-60 LP section.

I know some might say it is a bit of an apples-to-oranges comparison in several respects...

but it I am curious on your thoughts here.

If you had to pick between the two options, what would you chose, and why?

Assume, for the sake of argument, we are talking about factory-original guitars.

(a) 68 to early 69 LP Custom. The version with the one-piece neck and one-piece body, and long tenon.

(b) 52 to 53 trapeze-tail goldtop LP.

steve_p

B) It looks way cooler. Any problems with the tailpiece can be worked around.

deytookerjaabs

I don't find the '68's any better than the following few years.

So, "B" for the P90's & Mojo.

brandtkronholm

A - From my own player's perspective, I'd much rather have the Custom for the sound and playability. I'd probably re-fret the Custom with taller frets and swap the witch-hat knobs for black top-hats.
I've had several 52-53 gold tops and I couldn't make heads or tails of the P-90s (I like humbuckers). The early tailpiece is really awkward too.

From a $$ point of view, the gold top in very good condition wins every time - and I'd sell it to fund a different Gibson.

AlienVintage

My personal choice would be (A) - the Custom.

And this coming from someone (me) who owns and loves a '52 Les Paul myself.

In fact, I'll take it even further. I would probably have to say that (A) is closer to a '59 Les Paul Standard than (B). Humbuckers, '50s spec type construction (long tenon, one piece neck, one piece body), maple top. Aside from a few obvious features (extra binding, low frets, larger headstock etc.), it's really a very similar guitar, at its basic core, to a late '50s Standard.

AlienVintage

And from a market value standpoint, they are reasonably similar. Although you sometime see higher asking prices for 52/53 gold tops, you can still get an original one in the $12k(ish) range. Obviously, all depending on condition etc. of the guitar... but both options are in the same basic ballpark of over $10k and under, say, $14k.

marshall1987

This is not a very good comparison; i.e., '68/'69 Black Beauty vs. '52/'53 goldtop. :dang

A better comparison would be the trapeze '52/'53 Les Paul goldtop vs. '68/'69 Les Paul goldtop.

I would take the '50s version every time. And convert it to a tune-o-matic w/ a neck set. :dude:

Big Al

Easy choice for me.
52 Goldtop it be.
Customs are bling
but, bling isn't sing
My Standard is gold can't you see.