• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Feel like a Fool?

ScumbackSpeakers

I wouldn't have done that to an original 61 SG Std. Granted I did that to a stripped 63 SG Jr and it came out great, but unless that one had finish, neck break or other issues, I would have just left it as it was.

Cream Fan

I find it amusing that he talks about the SG lacking neck-dive. It's because of that tailpiece. My '61 doesn't neck-dive either. If nothing else it's the perfect counterweight. I also wish those pickups had covers. It's bad enough the rings are unpainted, but exposed coils do not look good on a Fool SG. I just visited the Fretted Americana site and they have this guitar priced at $16,500, which is just plain ridiculous. A dead mint '61 would probably be less. These people always overprice their guitars.

El Gringo

Xpensive Wino, Thank you so much for blessing my ears with such righteous tone

Big Al

:bigal:bigal:bigal:bigal:bigal WHO's THE FOOL!
Flippin' STOOOOPID! The Harrison/Clapton SG Standard was/is not a 61 Les Paul but a 64/65 SG. Hey, maybe someone will do a Hendrix paint job on a 58 Flying V, or a Harrison "Rocky" on a 54 Strat.

Last edited:

lpnv59

All Access/Backstage Pass
Nice job on the paint. I doubt it was the original finish before it received the Fool psychedelic treatment. The tailpiece should be swapped out with a modified Lyre vibrola with the cover removed so the cherub can be seen more. And 16.5K is way overpriced. Though it does look nice.

Cream Fan

:bigal:bigal:bigal:bigal:bigal WHO's THE FOOL!
Flippin' STOOOOPID! The Harrison/Clapton SG Standard was/is not a 61 Les Paul but a 65/65 SG. Hey, maybe someone will do a Hendrix paint job on a 58 Flying V, or a Harrison "Rocky" on a 54 Strat.

There are those who believe it's actually a '64, but without a record of the serial number it's all conjecture. The original definitely has a six-screw pickguard which places it in the '64 to '65 camp.

And Billy, you're right about the uncovered Lyre Vibrola. It also imparts a more airy tone.

Big Al

There are those who believe it's actually a '64, but without a record of the serial number it's all conjecture. The original definitely has a six-screw pickguard which places it in the '64 to '65 camp.

And Billy, you're right about the uncovered Lyre Vibrola. It also imparts a more airy tone.

Typo. Obviously I meant 64/65 and not 65/65. I fixed it.:##:##

MapleFlame

Sorry, but that sounded like shit. Ive heard members on this forum do a better job.

Maxmc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VKbNBKTd9Y
you get a good look at the original starting at the 3.00m mark

frazettafan

Sorry, but that sounded like shit. Ive heard members on this forum do a better job.

Really? I thought it sounded a bit grainy for what he was trying to sound like but his playing is good, very precise etc? He seemed slightly nervous, maybe because he's got to replace PhilX?

Cream Fan

I just rewatched this video and have to agree that the tone is as far from Clapton as one can get. I also looked up the guitar on the FA site and see that they are patent number pickups, not the PAFs that would have originally come with the guitar. Makes me wonder of the pots are the Centralabs or modern replacements. I still think the price is way too high, but that is typical of FA.

frazettafan

I just rewatched this video and have to agree that the tone is as far from Clapton as one can get. I also looked up the guitar on the FA site and see that they are patent number pickups, not the PAFs that would have originally come with the guitar. Makes me wonder of the pots are the Centralabs or modern replacements. I still think the price is way too high, but that is typical of FA.

I agree, CF - the sound is far from Claptons tone from those days which is a shame because he's a good player. I notice he finger picks everything too, which might be a factor? What do you think of the artwork on that one? It is expensive, I agree with you there too.

Cream Fan

I agree, CF - the sound is far from Claptons tone from those days which is a shame because he's a good player. I notice he finger picks everything too, which might be a factor? What do you think of the artwork on that one? It is expensive, I agree with you there too.

The finger-picking really annoys me, especially when someone is playing--or attempting to play--a song that was flat-picked. I can admire those who are able to use their fingers, but for me I simply can't stand the feeling of those steel strings against my fingertips and the flabby tone. I immediately grab for my pick. As for the artwork, it looks pretty good from what I can see. Just can't abide those open coils on the pickups, not on a Fool replica.

frazettafan

Yes, I hate the feel of steel strings on my fingers too. I dont mind fingerpicking chords but not lead. It does look pretty good but I noticed he's shaded the figure quite a lot which is not a feature of the original to a very great extent.