• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Is this the end of the road for tube amps?

jbzoso2002

Yes this article is an April fools joke.

BUTT this may happen some day when the modelers start to take over and
tube amp sales go down.

A day will come when the few tube companies left will stop production
because it will no longer be profitable to make tubes.

Jimmy

ourmaninthenorth

Yes this article is an April fools joke.

BUTT this may happen some day when the modelers start to take over and
tube amp sales go down.

A day will come when the few tube companies left will stop production
because it will no longer be profitable to make tubes.

Jimmy

I seem to remember hearing this in the 70's, then in the 80's, and then...in fact all the time I've been using valves...the stocks have nearly always been on the brink of collapse.

It may very well one day happen, but I doubt many of us will be around to see it.

What is this witchcraft of which you speak...?? Modellers..??? :laugh2::laugh2:

jbzoso2002

Im a tube junky too, but I am very intrigued by the new crop of
modelers out there.

I have a Boss Katana a very entry level deal but it sounds ok.

I got rid of my Class 5 and the Boss sounds better.

I like the axe and the amplifire, may have a go later this year as
right now I am buying a house.

Jimmy

TM1

April Fools...
I've never heard/played a modeler that sounds as good as the real thing. Let's not forget, these are digital copies and not the real thing. some things can not be cloned, nor should they be..

renderit

April Fools...
I've never heard/played a modeler that sounds as good as the real thing. Let's not forget, these are digital copies and not the real thing. some things can not be cloned, nor should they be..

True. But the millennials are truly the "good enough" generation. If digital ever stood a chance, well...DUCK!

renderit

Tom did mostly Voxen I believe? Some Fenders but mainly Super Beatles, Hiwatts and Marshalls?

ourmaninthenorth

Tom did mostly Voxen I believe? Some Fenders but mainly Super Beatles, Hiwatts and Marshalls?

That's how I remember it Ren, Vox, JMP, and Hiwatt for Tom, and a 60's Princeton and a 50's Tweed Deluxe for Mike.

:salude

sonar

My random guess is that more guitar tube amps are sold today than ever before. Quality might not be that great across the board, but lots of choices.

becks bolero

April Fools...

:dude::dude:

duaneflowers

Not passing judgment... :hee

17523221_1314698141979224_2656984702305397049_n.jpg

StringBender61

@duaneflowers :laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2: man that pic made me laugh, hilarious.... and that comes from a guy who loves old school vintage amps but also appreciates the new technology of modelers

duaneflowers

@duaneflowers :laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2: man that pic made me laugh, hilarious.... and that comes from a guy who loves old school vintage amps but also appreciates the new technology of modelers

I guess the moral of the picture is that both will get you where you want to go but only one comes with bragging rights... :eek:la

StringBender61

:laugh2: ha ha bragging rights :laugh2:, awesome --i guess you topped your own pcture with that one, duaneflowers

but really, when returning to the original subject:
I love the classic, time proven tones of the classic amps and at the same time there´s no denying that technology has come a really long way.
I think there is a place for both and it also depends on where you wanna use it (since gigging volume is impractical for most situations, to put it mildly)

duaneflowers

:laugh2: ha ha bragging rights :laugh2:, awesome --i guess you topped your own pcture with that one, duaneflowers

but really, when returning to the original subject:
I love the classic, time proven tones of the classic amps and at the same time there´s no denying that technology has come a really long way.
I think there is a place for both and it also depends on where you wanna use it (since gigging volume is impractical for most situations, to put it mildly)

Don't get me wrong, I love my Kemper, and, for the sake of 'close enough for R&R', it gets increasingly more and more play time, but none of the digital offerings I've run across have the richness, fullness and overall satisfaction of a tube amp. So while I do enjoy the convenience of the profiler, my tube amps ain't going nowhere anytime soon...

StringBender61

Don't get me wrong, I love my Kemper, and, for the sake of 'close enough for R&R', it gets increasingly more and more play time, but none of the digital offerings I've run across have the richness, fullness and overall satisfaction of a tube amp. So while I do enjoy the convenience of the profiler, my tube amps ain't going nowhere anytime soon...

cool that you got both--the sound quality of current generation modelers is definitely exquisite, so there really is a place for both approaches and at the end of the day it´s all about what gets a particular player off and what inspires him.
I wouldn´t get rid of any tube amp neither :):) old School amps rock, Sound killer ... plus their looks have the mojo edge compared to the design of fractals axe fx, kempers etc!

Another cool approach I grew fond of last year are the latest amp in a box pedals (like the Friedman BE-OD for example) , which offer a kind of distortion that is so amp like it´s unbelievable--if you didn´t know you were plugged into a pedal and were using a clean amp as a platform you couldn´t tell you aren´t playing through a tube behemoth.

Last edited: