• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Poker chip help

JJ Blair

A very generous forum buddy gave me this poker chip. Everything about it says '59-'60, in terms of the stamped edges, pressed font with filled bronze paint, etc. But the thickness is throwing me off.

It's not as thick as the pre-'59 chip on Frances, and it's not as thick as the chip on Birdy. But it's as thick as the black pre-'59 chip on Betty.

Did the thickness of these things vary? I'm also assuming that the color varies as much as the pick guard and M69s colors vary?

Thoughts, please?

8919012B-340F-47F4-9F35-B95179790470_zpsovvbzjuq.jpg

58burst

That looks like the earlier font than the late 59-60 font from that angle, the mid-50's chips were thinner and used that font, so probably one of those-

sws1

Here's a real '58 ring that Kim sold at some point. Very blocky letters.
oquybte397mrxtzi3lr7.jpg

Here's the series 2 ring, with the changed/art deco font.
images

The "R" in rhythm on yours doesn't look like either. Yours almost looks like a hybrid. Could it be from mid/early 50s?

JJ Blair

It's definitely the thinner type font, but good eye by sws on the "R". The paint is worn off on Birdy's chip, so I couldn't see that letter.

I wonder who made this.

viking LP

Here's a real '58 ring that Kim sold at some point. Very blocky letters.
oquybte397mrxtzi3lr7.jpg

Here's the series 2 ring, with the changed/art deco font.
images

The "R" in rhythm on yours doesn't look like either. Yours almost looks like a hybrid. Could it be from mid/early 50s?

Is the "series 2 ring " like a '59 poker chip ?

Fried okra

If anyone knows where an original 58 poker chip is for sale. Please let me know.:salude

58burst

Uncle Lou used to have burst parts, I bought some when restoring my '58, but if so they won't be cheap-