• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

What finish is this?

brainiac

Hey everyone! :spabout

New to the forum and first post! :yah

Bought a used Warmoth LP build (Warmoth LP style basswood body with Warmoth LP style maple/maple neck - 25.5", 1-11/16", SS, Wolfgang profile) with EVH Wolfgang pups that arrived last week. However, I have no clue what this finish is! The body is pretty light being basswood, but so is the paint (I assume). I'm pretty un-knowledgeable when it comes to finishes and was hoping somebody here could throw some light.

Also, it arrived with the nut being some good 3-4 mm off/away from the fretboard from all sides and it broke off mid-way the 2nd day. Took me 2 days to scrape off all the glue (first-time nut installer) and then file and glue-in a TUSQ XL (last 3 pics). Let me know if you think it's still a poor job that needs fixing.

Happy weekend everyone :peace2

brainiac

Sigh! Can't seem to upload images :dang

I read the FAQs but I don't see "a button labelled 'Manage Attachments'" below the message box. The insert image option only accepts URLs. Any help will be appreciated.

brainiac

Ah, got 'em. URLs :dang:bigal
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

brainiac

Thanks!

Any idea on what kind of paint that is?:hmm I'm wondering if I should scrape it off, if it's a bad one (tone and stuff). It sort of feels rubbery to me :dang

Zoomer

Thanks!

Any idea on what kind of paint that is?:hmm I'm wondering if I should scrape it off, if it's a bad one (tone and stuff). It sort of feels rubbery to me :dang

I would think it was polyurethane by the twisting of the finish by the tuners - no matter what the paint is I would strip it with "zip strip" which you can get at most hardware stores it will make the paint scrap off fairly easy

brainiac

I would think it was polyurethane by the twisting of the finish by the tuners - no matter what the paint is I would strip it with "zip strip" which you can get at most hardware stores it will make the paint scrap off fairly easy

Thanks for the advice :salude