• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Paul Stanley CS Bombshell!

CAGinLA

Really? Take another look. Those guitars all have standard VOS parts on them. NO True Historic anything. Henry has not signed off on the new 2017 guitars that have the True Historic parts. So impossible for any of them to be sold yet.

That may be true regarding the parts, but I looked at pics of the 2016 Standard and these new 2017 58s and the binding is way more yellow/golden on the 2017, and the logo has a more amber look. Noticeably different to my eyes.

DanD

Here's the head stock shot from WWs 8.23 pound '59 necked new " Historic 1958 Les Paul – VOS " Every new '58 VOS WW got in recently looks like this. Look closely at the new arrival '58s and you can see the hand sanding marks on the tops too.

I don't know what anyone else sees but I see a hand sanded head stock face with a well ambered Gibson inlay that looks just like TH to me.

That one may well be a rebadged unsold '59 TH with neck dimensions of .89-.98". :rolleyes:

If'n you paid more than '58 VOS prices for your '58 TH you got boned... :ha

Last edited:

KOTR

From the other forum:

img_0643-jpg.242483

hoss

What about the Memphis Custom Shop (ES production)?

mistersnappy

Paul Stanley's quote about certain models "bringing back Gibson's credibility" strains credulity. Lets just say, trying to "re-create" a model that has been missing for nearly 50 years (Beano) was jumping the shark. I'm all in on their ever-more accurate Historics but the CC models were pushing the outer reaches of credibility. Like I've said before, I'd love to have a list of collectors/famous players who told Gibson "thanks, but no thanks-that's actually silly". :spabout

J T

Paul Stanley's quote about certain models "bringing back Gibson's credibility" strains credulity. Lets just say, trying to "re-create" a model that has been missing for nearly 50 years (Beano) was jumping the shark. I'm all in on their ever-more accurate Historics but the CC models were pushing the outer reaches of credibility. Like I've said before, I'd love to have a list of collectors/famous players who told Gibson "thanks, but no thanks-that's actually silly". :spabout

But Collectors Choice gives people the chance at owning a re-creation of some of the most beautiful, legendary, and best Les Pauls of all time because those people will never have the ability to own the real thing.

Zoomer

But Collectors Choice gives people the chance at owning a re-creation of some of the most beautiful, legendary, and best Les Pauls of all time because those people will never have the ability to own the real thing.

+1

0 2339

imho it's more of an illusion they're selling than anything else... but nonetheless i'm all for more accurate and "vintage correct" : )

J T

No. It's no illusion that Collectors Choice are exceptionally crafted fine musical instruments. No doubt about that. Put one in your hands. Play it unplugged. Plug it into an amp. Top shelf stuff.

emg32

The problem with many of the Collectors Choice runs it that Gibson didn't put in the time and effort to make many of them even remotely look like the Original they were recreating.

Early on I think Gibson really tried but after a while it seemed like there were just cranking out the CC models as fast as they could get them out the door, regardless of if they looked liked the Original or not. Finish colors varying widely, neck shapes way off, super flame tops when the Original was pretty plain, etc...

To me personally they just became regular Historic Reissues with a overpriced pricetag and a CC COA/serial number.

Zoomer

The problem with many of the Collectors Choice runs it that Gibson didn't put in the time and effort to make many of them even remotely look like the Original they were recreating.

Early on I think Gibson really tried but after a while it seemed like there were just cranking out the CC models as fast as they could get them out the door, regardless of if they looked liked the Original or not. Finish colors varying widely, neck shapes way off, super flame tops when the Original was pretty plain, etc...

To me personally they just became regular Historic Reissues with a overpriced pricetag and a CC COA/serial number.

Where did you get this info? Owners of Original bursts who had their guitars made CC say the replicas are good, TW just got his Donna and said it was wonderful.

Tom99SS

Here's the head stock shot from WWs 8.23 pound '59 necked new " Historic 1958 Les Paul – VOS " Every new '58 VOS WW got in recently looks like this. Look closely at the new arrival '58s and you can see the hand sanding marks on the tops too.

I don't know what anyone else sees but I see a hand sanded head stock face with a well ambered Gibson inlay that looks just like TH to me.

That one may well be a rebadged unsold '59 TH with neck dimensions of .89-.98". :rolleyes:

If'n you paid more than '58 VOS prices for your '58 TH you got boned... :ha

I do not believe that is hand sanded. Here is my 2013 R0 with a somewhat amber Gibson logo and the VOS treatment which is like your hand sanded comment.
Sorry the pic is not great but all my VOS historic headstocks looking very similar to the WW pic with regards to the "hand sanded" markings and does not look at all like my 2015 THR8, but then again my THR8 is TM aged.

DSCF0252.jpg

Pat Boyack

"Nobody thought selling high quality Custom Shop Les Pauls would be so hard."

SpencerD

Seems too me HJ is following the Eastman Kodak death spiral model.

Al, the death spiral for Eastman Kodak is incorrect sir. They are now Eastman ( the Kodak brand moniker is toast)

3 shifts full time right here in my hometown making 'film' --- the kind that people put on windows. I kid you not,worldwide distribution from southern Virginia. Those people are fucked in the head man. --- Like they're living on a brand and product that's obsolete and they won't let go. --- It's the reverse of carriage makers when Henry Ford started building automobiles.

Instead of owning up to the FACT that your business is one tenth of what it was ------ continue like nothing has changed. It's quite bizarre man.

Treating employees like they owe a failed industry something.

Triburst

A few years ago, a famous corporate "turnaround artist" (the guy that turned around Harley Davidson) spoke at a function I attended. He mentioned his failure to turn around Kodak was because of their corporate culture of chemical engineers being promoted into management. They would not listen to anyone telling them that digital photography was the wave of the future. Exasperated, he said, "Kodak? They're a bunch of damned CHEMISTS!"

Now, back to Gibson....

I do think Gibson has shown some very dubious "symptoms" illustrated by the CEO's apparent love-affair with whiz-bang doohickeys screwed onto otherwise good guitars.

But in his defense, we've also seen him defend the use of nice, thick rosewood fretboards when other major manufacturers have recently turned tail and run due to red tape and potential issues.

I've been around at this forum long enough to remember people not daring to dream about being able to buy legitimate Gibsons with the sort of historically accurate features we take for granted today. Historics have always been superior guitars, but the ones we've seen since 2009 have been IMO spectacular (yes, even the 2012's -- look at those tops!). The CC's speak for themselves. If this truly is the end of that, then the good craftsmen at Gibson (both present and absent) deserve our heartfelt thanks. If you bought one of these instruments, no doubt the value will go up as they become more rare.

That really does me no good, though. I can't bear to part with any of mine.:peace2

uncle looie

He tweeted:

"Gibson has stopped Reissues? Collector's Choice? All their Custom Shop Relics? THAT'S what brought Gibson's credibility back. CRAZY."

That really sucks. I was waiting so impatiently for the day they do 9 0911.
gasp.gif