• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Netflix Binge Watching

T.Allen

Some of these series are addicting. Just one more episode and I'll go to bed. :##

Anything good I am missing?

I have done:

Dexter
Breaking Bad
Better Call Saul
Hand of God
House of Cards
Bloodline

Might be a few others that I am forgetting.

Cogswell

The Duke of Dumbassery
Oh yea, there are a bunch.
Narcos
The Fall
Peaky Blinders
Better Call Saul (as mentioned)
Portlandia
to name a few. Portlandia had me in tears from laughing so hard.

renderit

I thought the best one ever done was Deadwood. Just don't watch it with young'uns in the room.

T.Allen

My wife doesn't like deadwood. I watch that when she is not around.

Ship

Sons of Anarchy was pretty good. Just took forever to watch.

Cogswell

The Duke of Dumbassery
I'm going to say that I'm not really watching Peaky Blinders any more. After several episodes I started noticing certain cliches, & then it got to where I was figuring out what was going to happen next. I lost interest after that.

ourmaninthenorth

Think yourselves lucky lads, my Missus is working "Us" through the Grimm boxset, all four seasons.

It's very, very, very well titled...

Pellman73

I thought the best one ever done was Deadwood. Just don't watch it with young'uns in the room.

Agree 100%

deadwood was a high water mark.

breaking bad a close second

and I just watched twin peaks for the first time as it's coming back on showtime and i really dug that.

the new series the Patriot on Amazon is fantastic.

Pellman73

I'm going to say that I'm not really watching Peaky Blinders any more. After several episodes I started noticing certain cliches, & then it got to where I was figuring out what was going to happen next. I lost interest after that.

Yea I couldn't get totally hooked on peaky blinders but I thought it was good

WBailey

If you liked Deadwood, you will love Hell on Wheels !

First few episodes are a little slow. After that, addictive ! :salude

Cliff Gress

Yes, Hell on Wheels is fun.

My brother in law, James Nealey, draws the storyboard for House of Cards. Season 5 comes out in May, I'm told. Season 6 has potential too.

Last edited:

Pellman73

If you liked Deadwood, you will love Hell on Wheels !

First few episodes are a little slow. After that, addictive ! :salude

Watched the first two seasons I think but then I stopped but I need to get back to it. Yes I really like that show.

Ed Driscoll

Les Paul Forum Member
INTERIOR: A SMOKE-FILLED ROOM IN THE BACK OF A RESTAURANT.
Rumpled 50-something man steps up to podium.
MAN [microphone briefly feeds back]: Hello, welcome to the weekly meeting of Anglophiles Anonymous. Do we have any new members?

ED: [Raises hand. Says quietly and with some reservation] Hi all. My name is Ed…and I’m a closet video Anglophile.

ALL: Hi Ed.

# # # # # #

I haven’t watched much of anything in the past year due to work scheduling issues and the move to Texas other than an occasional half-hour Big Bang Theory episode with my wife, but when I bought my first Roku box a few years ago, I binge-watched lots of British TV on Acorn, including Rumpole of the Bailey, which was fun to watch the Falstaffian Leo McKern chew the scenery. I also binged on Poirot – it’s a rare privilege to watch an actor like David Suchet age into a role. Most of the time when an actor takes on a role that makes him famous and plays it for decades, he becomes too old, such as Shatner as Capt. Kirk in the Star Trek movies, or Connery and Roger Moore at the end of their stints as James Bond. But Suchet, who in retrospect was likely too young to portray Agatha Christie's Poirot catches up with the character’s age by the end of the series. And it’s also fascinating watching a series that began as rather light drawing room faire tackle something like the Lindbergh baby kidnapping in the blood-curdling Murder on the Orient Express. Kenneth Branagh is remaking that chapter as a big-screen movie for this November, but I’m not sure if I can watch another actor in the role.

Not Anglophile material, but on Amazon Prime in 2015, I was obsessed with The Man in the High Castle, or as I dubbed the pilot in my review, the TV series version of Robert Harris’s what-if book Fatherland. But with an incredible mind-f*ck ending in its first season’s last episode. I really do need to catch up with that series’ second season.

ourmaninthenorth

Ed, maybe try these:

The Sweeney
The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin.
The Boys from the Blackstuff
Inspector Morse.
Ripper Street
Life on Mars

and if you're feeling really bold, the "This is England, '86...'88...'90 " triptych.

Pellman73

INTERIOR: A SMOKE-FILLED ROOM IN THE BACK OF A RESTAURANT.
Rumpled 50-something man steps up to podium.
MAN [microphone briefly feeds back]: Hello, welcome to the weekly meeting of Anglophiles Anonymous. Do we have any new members?

ED: [Raises hand. Says quietly and with some reservation] Hi all. My name is Ed…and I’m a closet video Anglophile.

ALL: Hi Ed.

# # # # # #

I haven’t watched much of anything in the past year due to work scheduling issues and the move to Texas other than an occasional half-hour Big Bang Theory episode with my wife, but when I bought my first Roku box a few years ago, I binge-watched lots of British TV on Acorn, including Rumpole of the Bailey, which was fun to watch the Falstaffian Leo McKern chew the scenery. I also binged on Poirot – it’s a rare privilege to watch an actor like David Suchet age into a role. Most of the time when an actor takes on a role that makes him famous and plays it for decades, he becomes too old, such as Shatner as Capt. Kirk in the Star Trek movies, or Connery and Roger Moore at the end of their stints as James Bond. But Suchet, who in retrospect was likely too young to portray Agatha Christie's Poirot catches up with the character’s age by the end of the series. And it’s also fascinating watching a series that began as rather light drawing room faire tackle something like the Lindbergh baby kidnapping in the blood-curdling Murder on the Orient Express. Kenneth Branagh is remaking that chapter as a big-screen movie for this November, but I’m not sure if I can watch another actor in the role.

Not Anglophile material, but on Amazon Prime in 2015, I was obsessed with The Man in the High Castle, or as I dubbed the pilot in my review, the TV series version of Robert Harris’s what-if book Fatherland. But with an incredible mind-f*ck ending in its first season’s last episode. I really do need to catch up with that series’ second season.

season two somehow was better than season 1 in man in the high castle. How could I forget that-

cool review ! I'm on to your ones on how to make a studio control room:salude

and if you are an Anglophile did you check out Black Mirror? Fantastic. Like a modern day ray Bradbury

OldStrummer

I am under-utilizing my Netflix subscription, so I'm trying to catch up. New and old shows I'm watching:

Longmire
Marvel's Iron Fist (New -- but some of it seems like re-hashed superhero goop).
Into to the Badlands
The OA
Black Mirror (a British blend of Twilight Zone and Dark Sci-Fi)
Portlandia
Z Nation (A more tongue-in-cheek Walking Dead)