• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

need help with '59 centralab pots

scovell001

I wish there was a way someone could record a tone comparison with these vintage centralabs - I have CTS 550k's matched to within 2% in my guitar - The tone pot in my neck is sweet with tone coming in from about 1.5 all the way up.

I'm not naysaying these centralabs - I just wish there was something out there to help quantify what people are hearing. I have the vintage PIO bees & they make a difference to tone, so the vintage centralabs must also do something.

A-tony

...and the 59s (820k 828k 885k 709k) these are written on the back instead of side and to me they are even more abrupt than my 58 ones (at 9 Im already in little dirt/cleaner territory) dont look at the numbers written on the cardboard as it was originally matched with another set:
59 centralabs (google photo)

the main reason for this thread is that I was thinking that '59 ones are way more out of spec than other 50s

PS in my epxrience swapping vintage pots Ive noticed that if I use a tone pot higher than vol one I got a little bit more clarity when rolling off volume (without touching tone pot) while on the opposite I got a little bit more power when volume its on 10