The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
LilyPix
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite
    Les Paul Forum Member 67blackcherry's Avatar

Are the 2014 R9's really all that?

Greetings - I've got a little $$$ coming my way; my 20yo daughter wrecked my (first real performance) car, a 2007 Audi A3 S-line that I absolutely loved. I want to purchase a guitar to remind me of that great little car.
    She's ok, by the way.

I've heard so much about the 2014 R9's (and R8's) that I think I'm ready to purchase one but my question is....are they really all that? I've got all my LP bases covered (R4GT, R4BB, R6GT, R7BB, R8(x2) and R0 Special) and I figure if they really are that amazing, I can easily sell my '98 R8 & '02 R8 and make up my $$$ plus some. Even that NGD thread, the OP owned an older R8 and he said the new THR8 is worlds apart which is what I've heard and the 2014 is pretty much a TH, correct? I know the R9 would be a prudent investment, so there's that also to consider.

(this may be blasphemy, here on the LPF, but I'm also considering an Ibanez Iceman PS10LTD....just because I've always loved those and KISS/Ace is the reason I picked up the guitar back in '77...I know it's a Paul Stanley model but still...)
    What to do, what to do?
    R4BB
    R4GT
    R6GT
    R7BB
    R8 flame/cherry
    R8 flame/tobacco
    R0 TV Special
    A bunch of Cunetto Relics
    CS Tele Custom Relic
    AllParts Paisley Tele
    AllParts B-Bender Tele

Les Paul Forum Member

Re: Are the 2014 R9's really all that?

Quote Originally Posted by 67blackcherry View Post
    Even that NGD thread, the OP owned an older R8 and he said the new THR8 is worlds apart which is what I've heard and the 2014 is pretty much a TH, correct?
    No, they have different specs.

I know the R9 would be a prudent investment, so there's that also to consider.
    Guitars are TERRIBLE investments! The only people who made real money on guitars were those prescient enough and/or rich enough to jump on vintage pieces before the prices shot through the stratosphere. No modern-era, regular production Historic is going to earn money for you.

Quote Originally Posted by indravayu View Post
    ... No modern-era, regular production Historic is going to earn money for you.
    No not all but quite a few of them would have...
    The farther you go, the closer you are.

No, they have different specs.

Guitars are TERRIBLE investments! The only people who made real money on guitars were those prescient enough and/or rich enough to jump on vintage pieces before the prices shot through the stratosphere. No modern-era, regular production Historic is going to earn money for you.
    I don't buy new so I don't have the depreciation and thus so could (probably) easily sell all my Historics for at least what I've paid for them - that's what I meant by a prudent investment.
    R4BB
    R4GT
    R6GT
    R7BB
    R8 flame/cherry
    R8 flame/tobacco
    R0 TV Special
    CS Tele Custom Relic
    AllParts Paisley Tele
    AllParts B-Bender Tele

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by J T View Post
    No not all but quite a few of them would have...
    In what fantasy world are regular production Historics (as specified in my original post) making money for people as investment pieces?

In what fantasy world are regular production Historics (as specified in my original post) making money for people as investment pieces?
    Mine! And don't tell Mrs. Ren any different, bucko!

Les Paul Forum Member

certain modern era runs are definately goin to make money... think of gibbons or green cc's. who knows how murphy painted/aged guitars; ltd brazilian rw runs; pre-"postedwinwilson" guitars will develop....

though, it's always up to what you think a good investment is ; )

Well I was told from 3 dealers so far that Gibson has dramatically stopped production of their R8 and R9 where it's gearing towards special orders or the M2M since there was too much problems with inventory and such

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 0 2339 View Post
    certain modern era runs are definately goin to make money... think of gibbons or green cc's. who knows how murphy painted/aged guitars; ltd brazilian rw runs; pre-"postedwinwilson" guitars will develop....

though, it's always up to what you think a good investment is ; )
    Those are not regular production models, but special/limited runs.

I buy guitars cause when I play them, I must have it. I do not buy on speculation. I have guitars I love and have loved for decades. I own great guitars and wouldn't sell any for an unknown. That's just me though.
    Just another grumpy, gimpy, grizzled geezer, gettin' on the goodfoot!

Les Paul Forum Member Pellman73's Avatar

Greetings - I've got a little $$$ coming my way; my 20yo daughter wrecked my (first real performance) car, a 2007 Audi A3 S-line that I absolutely loved. I want to purchase a guitar to remind me of that great little car.
    She's ok, by the way.

I've heard so much about the 2014 R9's (and R8's) that I think I'm ready to purchase one but my question is....are they really all that? I've got all my LP bases covered (R4GT, R4BB, R6GT, R7BB, R8(x2) and R0 Special) and I figure if they really are that amazing, I can easily sell my '98 R8 & '02 R8 and make up my $$$ plus some. Even that NGD thread, the OP owned an older R8 and he said the new THR8 is worlds apart which is what I've heard and the 2014 is pretty much a TH, correct? I know the R9 would be a prudent investment, so there's that also to consider.

(this may be blasphemy, here on the LPF, but I'm also considering an Ibanez Iceman PS10LTD....just because I've always loved those and KISS/Ace is the reason I picked up the guitar back in '77...I know it's a Paul Stanley model but still...)
    What to do, what to do?
    Thats right ice. man. I am dangerous

sounds like you've got your les paul bases VERY well covered. but what about Poor Paul Stanely standing there all sad w his pursed lips wondering when he's gonna get some love?

not blasphemy w me! but I"m an infamous derailer. I would have made a terrible hall monitor.

lets talk about ibanez guitars!

just kidding... I did go through a Reb Beach phase last year and at one point I had two of the numbered Koa explorers. they are badass guitars!

I can't give you any advice on the guitar you've asked about and perhaps we could hear from people who have had your R8's and have the newer ones and are they very different?

as Al said, I'd try to play the dang thing before you buy it (as opposed to the iceman-- that's checking a very particular box for you and it would not make as big a difference how it played I"d guess)

what song would you play first on it? I'd play Detroit Rock City. pretty much the most surprised I was about any song to learn for my band that made me love the original because it is SO fun to play.

sorry. deraling again.

glad your daughter is ok and sorry about your car!

Les Paul Forum Member

To get back to the OP's original question, the 2014s have a solid reputation. Obviously, there were some dogs produced, so try to play before you buy, but they were a good bang for the buck.

Also note that the 2015s (nearly all - if not all - of which have 2014 serials) and the 2016s have the same specs as the 2014s (except for maybe some tiny differences - I think perhaps some slightly different binding color? Different switch badge on the 2016s and maybe a slightly different shade to the red on the back?). They are essentially the same guitar.

The True Historics are divisive - some people don't feel the spec changes were enough to justify the large price increase, while others don't mind paying more for guitars that are a little more labor intensive to produce and have a but more historical accuracy (not perfect repros of the originals, of course).

Personally, I love the THs that I have played and owned and prefer them over regular Historics, but that is just that - a personal preference. Lots of folks prefer regular Historics and don't feel/hear the difference (I think they're crazy, but hey - we all feel/hear things differently!).

This is not a knock on Historics - I have owned a few and they are great guitars.

It's been my experience that THs are a tad brighter and airy sounding compared to Historics, which have a bit more low end growl.

My R9 is actually a 2013. You may want to look at them as well. They are the same thing as a 14.

I went through this last summer when researching and purchasing a non True Historic Custom Shop Les Paul.
    The 2014s use hide glue in 1 extra spot than the 2013s.
    2015s unless you go TH you get a short tenon.
    2016s go back to 2014 specs except the serial # begins with an R.

Again these are the non-True Historic Standard Custom Shop Les Pauls. What I decided was I could live with the R before the serial # and I bought a brand new never touched 2016 R8.

Les Paul Forum Member clearmudd's Avatar

Yes.

Les Paul Forum Member

Best damn Les Paul I have ever owned and it is my numero uno Guitar

Murphy's, 2003 Braz's, 90s Pre historics, Monster tops, just to name a few. You'd make a few bucks if you had bought them new. They weren't special runs.

But don't get the idea you'll become a millionaire flipping gear. Some people did and tried. That's what drove prices sky high on reasonably priced gear ten years ago. It's for fun. Never forget that. Don't get too serious about this stuff or go in over your head.
    The farther you go, the closer you are.

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by captainvideo View Post
    2015s unless you go TH you get a short tenon.
    No, that's incorrect. 2015-built Historics (all - or most - of which have 2014 serial numbers) have the long tenon, just like all other Historics.

You are thinking of the short-lived 2015 CS series (all of which have CS before the serial number); they have (erm, had) a short, wide tenon.

These are my R8's - now I'm seriously wondering if the R9 I'm looking at will blow these away or is it going to be....meh.....
    They sound & play great and stay in tune all night.
    R4BB
    R4GT
    R6GT
    R7BB
    R8 flame/cherry
    R8 flame/tobacco
    R0 TV Special
    CS Tele Custom Relic
    AllParts Paisley Tele
    AllParts B-Bender Tele

Don't buy a new Historic Les Paul thinking it will hold it's value or appreciate any time soon. If you want a great player then you can "find one" in a 2014 Historic Les Paul. Guitars old and new need to be played first to see if they are a good fit for you. Spend wisely.

Buck

My 2014 R7 is the best Les Paul I've ever owned. It's light, resonant, and has a great balance between pickups. I love making music with it.

Les Paul Forum Member

These are my R8's - now I'm seriously wondering if the R9 I'm looking at will blow these away or is it going to be....meh.....
    Hi, after seeing your 2 Les Pauls I'd keep both of them. Looks alone, they are obviously the best available and would be very difficult to find for reasonable price. I have a 2005 R9 that is alot different sounding than my 2014 R9 unplugged and plugged in.

Both of my R9 Les Pauls have identical new RS super pots with different pickups. As awesome as my 2014 LP is I would not dump my 2005 LP since I like having different sounds available.

I would buy another R9 Les Paul and keep it for 1 year and then see if one of the 3 is no longer needed. This is how to build up credit debt and know what Ramen noodles are!

Les Paul Forum Member thunderkyss's Avatar

There is something serioiusly wrong with you if you're considering selling one of those.

Honest.

If you had a sick loved one, or a house to save, or something like that... I'd pimp myself out before thinking about selling one of those two.
    Oye Coma Va..... me ritmo!

I don' have a '14 R9 but I did own a '13 that I sold. I now own a '14 R8 and a '04 R7.
    '04 R7 best of the bunch. I would keep your old LP's and needed/desired upgrades.

I dig mine:

I'm very happy with my "2014" R9 (one of the 2015 R9's where Gibson carried over the 2014 specs & serial numbering).

The only right answer is to play one, then decide if it's better than your existing guitars. I wouldn't recommend buying online, as I think most will agree that even within a series with identical specs each guitar has its own voice. Some you may like better than others.

Don't sell the '02 R8, that is one I regret selling. Mine had RS pots and pups that were changed (early alzheimer's keeps me from remembering what?) and that guitar KILLED!

The grass is not always greener, especially if you can smoke it!
    Game on!

Quote Originally Posted by akstrat61 View Post
    Don't sell the '02 R8, that is one I regret selling. Mine had RS pots and pups that were changed (early alzheimer's keeps me from remembering what?) and that guitar KILLED!

The grass is not always greener, especially if you can smoke it!
    Only my opinion, the new ones look better on paper but are not. Hyde glue and all. I'd install steel studs and do maple flame mod on the older ones.

She's ok, by the way.
    Good. Does fact you are not replacing the S might indicate you are going to have the kids share in driving the cars, and you don't want another performance car....? Or just over it? Any car can be mishandled, especially while learned and gathering experience... Happened twice to me.

The correct answer here is to ground her, take away all non-education privileges and electronics, make her get 3 summer jobs.... keep all your existing LPs, get the best R9/R0 you can grab (TH, if they speak to you) and play the heck out of it.

YMMV

Quote Originally Posted by jb_abides View Post
    Good. Does fact you are not replacing the S might indicate you are going to have the kids share in driving the cars, and you don't want another performance car....? Or just over it? Any car can be mishandled, especially while learned and gathering experience... Happened twice to me.

The correct answer here is to ground her, take away all non-education privileges and electronics, make her get 3 summer jobs.... keep all your existing LPs, get the best R9/R0 you can grab (TH, if they speak to you) and play the heck out of it.

YMMV
    Not long after she started driving the Audi, I sold my '68 GTO and bought a 2005 Porsche 911 Carrera 2S...so I'm good to go in the performance dept!

Still on the fence about an R9....it's a good deal but I've actually been playing both my R8's lately and they sure are great guitars, and I'm not sure the $4500.00 outlay will be worth it.

I have the $$$ and I'm on the fence about buying another guitar - what the heck is wrong with me???
    R4BB
    R4GT
    R6GT
    R7BB
    R8 flame/cherry
    R8 flame/tobacco
    R0 TV Special
    CS Tele Custom Relic
    AllParts Paisley Tele
    AllParts B-Bender Tele

... Still on the fence about an R9....it's a good deal but I've actually been playing both my R8's lately and they sure are great guitars, and I'm not sure the $4500.00 outlay will be worth it.

I have the $$$ and I'm on the fence about buying another guitar - what the heck is wrong with me???
    There's absolutely NOTHING wrong with you. If you don't have an overwhelming "this one is right" moment when playing a prospective guitar or amp, you'll probably not be excited by it after the honeymoon is over.

This past month, I wound up getting a '63 Deluxe, a '66 Pro Reverb, an EP-3 and re-necking my fave Tele. I was taking a little risk on one of those things, buying before playing. But I got good deals on each, and every single one of them was a "played one chord & knew I would keep this forever" moment.

Didn't need nor asked for anyone's advice, and I couldn't care less what anyone thinks about it. Add in a LOT of NOS tubes (came across a once-in-20-year opportunity) and a couple speakers, and I've probably blown the next 5-10 years of my budget for music gear. But I have zero second thoughts about any of it.

When you come across the right guitar and know that one must come home with you, you'll know it...

hi blackcherry, i would sent one of your R8s (preferably the clowny looking one) to Kim at historicmakeover and tell him what you want eg rolled binding, different neck shape and everything. And tell him you love his vintage cherry sunburst.

http://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/sh...=1#post2571898

Then call it a day when it comes back.
    Last edited by Hamerfan; 04-15-17 at 04:41 AM.

The biggest mistake you are making here is assigning a tonal valuation to a given year. Historic LPs all have there own sonic fingerprints as does every guitar. There are some nice upgrades to the 14s that in all liklihood do enhance tone such as a sleeveless truss rod, hot hide glue, thinner lacquer etc and many people also like the custom buckers which I think are unpotted.

I would NOT consider an R9 to be an investment unless it's a very rare signed signature edition that you get at MSRP. However, a used R9 like any classic used guitar bought right should hold its value which means its cost of ownership is just minimally greater than an Epiphone LP.

IE, if you buy a used Epiphone LP for $300 keep it for a year then sell it and get your $300 back, your cost of ownership in this current interest rate environment is around $3 which is what that 300 would generate in a savings account An R9 bought for $4K and sold for $4K would cost about 40 dollars a year. Therefore, depending on your financial situation, the difference in cost of ownership for a year between a used R9 and a used Epiphone is $37

She's ok, by the way.

What to do, what to do?

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JPP-1 View Post
    The biggest mistake you are making here is assigning a tonal valuation to a given year. Historic LPs all have there own sonic fingerprints as does every guitar. There are some nice upgrades to the 14s that in all liklihood do enhance tone such as a sleeveless truss rod, hot hide glue, thinner lacquer etc and many people also like the custom buckers which I think are unpotted.

I would NOT consider an R9 to be an investment unless it's a very rare signed signature edition that you get at MSRP. However, a used R9 like any classic used guitar bought right should hold its value which means its cost of ownership is just minimally greater than an Epiphone LP.

IE, if you buy a used Epiphone LP for $300 keep it for a year then sell it and get your $300 back, your cost of ownership in this current interest rate environment is around $3 which is what that 300 would generate in a savings account An R9 bought for $4K and sold for $4K would cost about 40 dollars a year. Therefore, depending on your financial situation, the difference in cost of ownership for a year between a used R9 and a used Epiphone is $37

I would love to live on a planet where I could sell my guitars for exactly the same price that I paid for them new!